Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How can I tell where you LS2 came from?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 03:01 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I tell where you LS2 came from?

I'm new to the LS series engines, and just got an LS2 off of ebay. The story was it came from an '06 Corvette. But we all know how ebay stories go. It has a 6.0L cast into the block. It's the long block, heads, pan, crank, rods, pistons, no coils, no water pump, etc.
I plan on putting it into my Panoz road race track car.
First question is, how do I tell if its a 54 or 24 tooth reluctor wheel?
It doesn't have a bat wing oil pan. Is it really from a Corvette?
I plan on going carb and Vr Jr intake. What size carb should I get? I had a 750HP on my 408W track engine before.
For a track car, should I up grade the cam before install, if so which one.
What heades should I use?
Thanks for the Newbie help.
Old 12-01-2009, 04:35 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by ducky1
I'm new to the LS series engines, and just got an LS2 off of ebay. The story was it came from an '06 Corvette. But we all know how ebay stories go. It has a 6.0L cast into the block. It's the long block, heads, pan, crank, rods, pistons, no coils, no water pump, etc.
I plan on putting it into my Panoz road race track car.
First question is, how do I tell if its a 54 or 24 tooth reluctor wheel?
It doesn't have a bat wing oil pan. Is it really from a Corvette?
I plan on going carb and Vr Jr intake. What size carb should I get? I had a 750HP on my 408W track engine before.
For a track car, should I up grade the cam before install, if so which one.
What heades should I use?
Thanks for the Newbie help.
I'm pretty sure you will find a number on the outside of the block designating where it came from. I think it's a machined pad on the side of the casing and the numbers look to be scribed in a bunch of dots.

Also, there is also a crank position sensor in the side of the block, near the back, held on by a single bolt. Pull it out, and you can see the reluctor and you can tell which one it is. You may need to google it to identify which is which, but it's pretty obvious once you've seen the two.

Since it's just a longblock, I don't think there is much difference where it came from, whether it was a GTO or Corvette engine, I think it's basically the same parts, as far as the longblock goes.

The other questions, like selecting heads and a cam, you may want to speak with a performance shop about.
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS2 vette didn't use the "bat wing" oil pan...They have a shallow pan and GTOs had the front sump pan...
Old 12-01-2009, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I'll pull the plug and see how many teeth are on the wheel.
Thanks
Old 12-02-2009, 04:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can also establish 24X or 58X via the color of the crank position sensor.

Grey = 58X, Black = 24X.

If it had a front sump pan, then GTO. Shallow rear sump pan and no batwings, Corvette. Deep rear sump pan, truck maybe. Didnt think the LS2 ever came with a batwing pan like the LS1.

See also the conversions oil pan stickies.

You can tell when the block was machined. There is an engraved 10 digit number on the downfacing surface front RHS of block just under the #2 cylinder. XYYYZZZZZZ First digit is year, digit 2,3,4 - XXX, equals day of year block was done. last 6 digits are just sequential as produced. There is also a 5 digit number cast into the block front on the even side. XYYYZ. X is year, YYY is day. Z maybe the shift number, but have seen 4's and 5's on

If it looks as if the block was manufactured after about July/Aug 05, and is 58X, then probably 06.

Quick Reply: How can I tell where you LS2 came from?