Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Debating... gather parts and have built locally... or buy shortblock from sponsor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2009, 11:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Debating... gather parts and have built locally... or buy shortblock from sponsor?

Ive been researching options lately and Im wondering whether I want to gather parts to have a local shop build a motor for me or buy a built motor from a sponsor. This will be for a boosted motor for my SS.... not sure if Ill go alum or iron... Im not opposed to either.

Luckily I have a few local shops that are very reputable as well as a very good tuner.... but the thought of purchasing outright ready to go sounds really nice and convenient.

What route did you take and were you happy with your choice?

Im also interested to hear from sponsors to hear why they think I should purchase a built shortblock from them vs build locally.

Thanks in advance....
Old 12-19-2009, 03:29 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

pm'ed with some info
Old 12-19-2009, 09:06 AM
On The Tree

Here's the two questions you need to ask yourself...
1. Do I care about weight? (alum or iron block)
2. What is my budget? (iron is cheaper)

My advice is to build it locally. Not that you cannot trust some of these sponsors, cause they are all good and reputable. But I like to be able to pop in the shop anytime I want and physically touch my stuff. And for the main reason: If you ever had a problem you don't have to worry about shipping a motor across the country. Just my honest opinion.
Old 12-19-2009, 09:13 AM
On The Tree

Oh and also it is best to buy the parts from the guy that is building the motor, in case there is an issue or failure. Most people are not likely to warranty parts that have been assembled by someone else.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:05 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It all depends on what you want to do. If you don't have the tools or space for everything, an assembled short block is a nice way to go. This is assuming that the builder has done all work correctly before the short block gets shipped to you. Also, you can get the short block in either aluminum or cast iron instead of having to go the machine shop for the work.

A key drawback is that the warranty for parts may not be honored if something went wrong. Keep all the receipts in case. Also, its all about the money. If you have money, its your choice in what you want to do for a build.

If you can find a local machine shop that has done a lot of quality work and will answer your questions, go that route, just do your homework before entrusting any shop. Most of my builds are done in my friend's garage.
Old 12-21-2009, 05:22 AM
Teching In

hi i am currently looking for a short or long block for FI set up.

However i am looking at importing from the US to OZ.

What are your thoughts on some of the sponsors and which way would you head???

cheers
Old 12-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

We are shipping engines internationally all the time and can help you. I offer only HKE precision racing engines. We are building engines right now that are going to Saudi Arabia, UK, Canada and have just delivered one to Germany.

For you the big issue is the exchange rate and what you will pay to import the engine for duty fee's and taxes to Australia. I have a customer over there right now who is having to put his project on hold because of the import fee's. We can work with the value to adjust that a bit but it is still a significant fee to pay. I'll pm you with some information.
Old 12-21-2009, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by QCK57
hi i am currently looking for a short or long block for FI set up.

However i am looking at importing from the US to OZ.

What are your thoughts on some of the sponsors and which way would you head???

cheers
There are a few good ones here, but I prefer HKE.
Old 12-22-2009, 07:49 PM
Teching In

thanks for the tip, i have sent my spec's for a look at what we can do.

cheers
Old 12-25-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I prefered to have mine built locally so that if there are any problems I could take it to them and deal with it, rather than send an email, hope to get a response, have them tell mw to pull the motor and send it in and all that BS.

I used Cunningham Motorsports in Lake Elsinore, I know thats a bit of a drive for you and not exactly local. Ive also heard alot of good things about Charlie in Santa Clarita.