Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Dished slugs in compensate for milled heads?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dished slugs in compensate for milled heads?

I came across a pile of parts, a fully forged l92 with some worked heads in a pile of new boxes. It's all callies and wiseco rotating assembly. BUT the heads were originally bought for an ls2 so they were milled to keep compression right. Now, I found a l92 block studded etc and the bore x stroke comes out to a 418. What would be the effects of running a dished piston to keep compression right when the heads have been milled? Can I get away with it? Again, all parts are new minus block, which is a 2500 mile take out l92 with arp parts added. It's going in my 08 Sierra Denali.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to pour the heads and calculate your CR to know where you are now first.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:31 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double check ptv clearence and u could go with a thicker headgasket
Old 01-14-2010, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer your question yes you can run a dished piston with no issue or degredation to performance. Most of the forged engines built are using dished pistons be it a -3cc or a -32cc.
As stated you need to know your heads chamber size though in order to get it right. You can use the hg thickeness to compensate a little as well.
You of course want to order correct for the head your using.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
To answer your question yes you can run a dished piston with no issue or degredation to performance. Most of the forged engines built are using dished pistons be it a -3cc or a -32cc.
As stated you need to know your heads chamber size though in order to get it right. You can use the hg thickeness to compensate a little as well.
You of course want to order correct for the head your using.
Cool. The numbers have already been crunched to maintain CR. I was just checking if I would lose much huevos over a taller chamber. Now the fun part, taking all the parts off the old and onto the forged! Thanks.