Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT questions?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default VVT questions?????

I've been searching for a while now about VVT. Where is the solenoid located that controls oil flow to the cam phaser? is it a simple open/closed solenoid?
the reason I ask, is because if it is a simple open/closed solenoid, then why cant the VVT be controlled by a window switch? and be full advance at any RPM below the switch's set point, then be full retard at any RPM above that set point. This would allow VVT to operate even on a carb setup. and mechanical limiters could be made to set the advance and retarded positions.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:28 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's possible I think... but sounds like a complete pain in the butt versus just wiring up the e38 ecu that the motor came with originally. You can buy e38 ecu's for next to nothing, too.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:56 AM
8 Second Club

well, I am going to run a vic jr and a 750 or 850 carb setup on this engine, and its going into a 67 camaro that has not been setup for efi. I just want to utilize this tech to gain the best drivability possible with a bigger cam. I am not ready to do efi just yet, but I will someday.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No, it's not "binary" like that. From what I've found in my swap, the ECM is frequently adjusting the cam's phase based on load, throttle position, etc, etc, etc. Also - you're wanting to run a bigger cam, but have you thought through how you would check for valve/piston clearance, etc.?

I think that your view of the way that VVT works is perhaps still a bit simplistic (not meaning any offense by that).
Old 02-01-2010, 02:32 PM
8 Second Club

no offense taken, I want to learn all I can about it(VVT)and how GM has it set up mechanically and electronically, and I'm just pondering the plausibility of controlling it on a carb setup. I do understand that the ecm probably varies the cam timing constantly based on alot of variables, not only rpm.
What I want to know is, could the vvt controll solenoid be used in an open/closed manor, set to change at a constant rpm?
I know that the total amount of cam advance/ retard would need to be limited, and P to V clearence checked at ALL points in between( BIG JOB, but possible). I understand how varying the cam timing can reap great drivability benefits when using a big cam, I'm just thinking about how it could be done without efi. All discussion pro or con is welcome

Quick Reply: VVT questions?????