Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

How Much for Forged Pistons & Rods in a LS3

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How Much for Forged Pistons & Rods in a LS3

Picked up a LS3 with 200 miles on it from a wrecked 2009 Corvette.

Would like to install forged pistons and rods in it along with ARP hardware and swap out the 58 reluctor wheel with a 24 wheel.

Anybody have an idea of cost. I want to keep the stock crank and maybe drop the compression down to 9.5 to 1 and throw on some doble springs.

Thanks.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your best bet would be to get a complete rotating assembly from one of the sponcers, like TSP.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=887&catid=88
Old 02-08-2010, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by LS1MCSS
Your best bet would be to get a complete rotating assembly from one of the sponcers, like TSP.
http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=887&catid=88
Yes, but they did not have any stock size rotating assemblies only 402 and larger.

I'm looking for stock cubes as I would like to go FI.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

They have it, but you have to call. Another thing is the LS3 cast in liners are not square 98% of the time so be sure to use an excellent machine shop.
Old 02-08-2010, 02:25 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can run the stock crank if you're not going to stroke it. The stock crank holds a good bit of power! So really you're looking at a set of good pistons (I'd go Wiseco), and a nice set of rods for which I like Callies. Pistons with ring set are on special for $759.99 and the rods are just under $550. Then you'd just have to get a machine shop to do the balancing on the rotating assembly, machine the block, etc and you'd be ready to rock!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jontall
They have it, but you have to call. Another thing is the LS3 cast in liners are not square 98% of the time so be sure to use an excellent machine shop.
Thanks, I've read various threads and some articles about the cylinder walls be a little mis-shappened or thinner in one area etc ...

I'm not going for big power, just looking for 600 RWHP. Some guys seem to get lucky and run forever on stock block and others blow up in a week.

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
You can run the stock crank if you're not going to stroke it. The stock crank holds a good bit of power! So really you're looking at a set of good pistons (I'd go Wiseco), and a nice set of rods for which I like Callies. Pistons with ring set are on special for $759.99 and the rods are just under $550. Then you'd just have to get a machine shop to do the balancing on the rotating assembly, machine the block, etc and you'd be ready to rock!

Thanks for the info. Just seeing what my options are at this point.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

PM sent.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

I just did the same thing with my L92. Wiseco pistons K1 rods, all new bearings, gaskets, polished crank, balanced and all the other little crap that goes with a rebuild, and LS2 timing cover since I went non vvt on the build and im into it $3200 or so. Not bad since I got a running L92 for $350 to start with
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Price everything out and it is not much more to go 418 vs stock cubes. I was going to do what you are going to do and could not give up the easy 75 hp that was to gain with cubes. About $500 for 75 hp is cheap.

Tim
Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

for 600 rwhp, i would just put rod bolts in it and go.. unless you have money to spend.. but stock short should handle that.. cam,boost..
Old 02-09-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jon@HKE
PM sent.
Sent ya a reply, thanks.

Originally Posted by dimetweaker
I just did the same thing with my L92. Wiseco pistons K1 rods, all new bearings, gaskets, polished crank, balanced and all the other little crap that goes with a rebuild, and LS2 timing cover since I went non vvt on the build and im into it $3200 or so. Not bad since I got a running L92 for $350 to start with
Thanks for the info. I picked up a 2009 LS3 Long Block from a wrecked vette with 200 miles on it, however I paid a lot more than $350.

Originally Posted by Gray86hatch
Price everything out and it is not much more to go 418 vs stock cubes. I was going to do what you are going to do and could not give up the easy 75 hp that was to gain with cubes. About $500 for 75 hp is cheap.

Tim
I already have a brand new forge 416 LS3 sitting at home, actually I'm in the midst of selling it. I have been going back and forth over SC or Turbo system. If I go turbo the smaller cubes works better with the available systems out there.

Thanks,
Tony

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
for 600 rwhp, i would just put rod bolts in it and go.. unless you have money to spend.. but stock short should handle that.. cam,boost..
That's a thought too or just throw on the blower or turbo and do some praying that it doesn't blow up.

I'm not trying to set any records, just trying to have a fun street set-up with a little bit of extra kick.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 PM
AVB
Launching!

Originally Posted by chevellepowered
This would be cool but would that mean a rebalancing?
Old 03-11-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVB
This would be cool but would that mean a rebalancing?
Shouldn't have to rebalance it, at least if used the Katech bolts.

I think I'm going to end up selling it, and just buying a forged set-up as pricing to forge the motor is $3K + shipping cost.

I'm half tempted to throw my forged 416 (LS3) in it and sell off the motor in the car plus the LS3..

I got someone ready to buy the LS3 forged motor already , and I really just want a stock cubed LS3 in case I go turbo.

I got lots of time to think things over as I won't be working on it again until September.

Need to finish up the body, suspension and interior first before hitting the drive train.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Regular

I have some Mahle 4.07 bore forged pistons for sale in the classifieds. With a 4" crank it makes 416ci. Came out of an LS3 block.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 6.0monsta
I have some Mahle 4.07 bore forged pistons for sale in the classifieds. With a 4" crank it makes 416ci. Came out of an LS3 block.
Thanks, I already have a forged 416 sitting in the garage. Trying to lower the cubes so I don't need such a big huffer to fill the cylinders.
Old 03-11-2010, 04:41 PM
AVB
Launching!

I'll have to pick up a set of Katech's.

I'm doing the same but moving from an iron 408 to an LS3. Since I have the replacement motor still out, just getting the required pieces into it. In the not too distant future, there's a pretty good chance it'll be supercharged this time around (instead of turbos) so I keeping an eye out for set of forged pistons and plan on maybe keeping the stock rods and going with an LS1 crank. Even with just pistons, I agree all the little pieces add up quick.

Thanks and good luck on your end...
Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AVB
I'll have to pick up a set of Katech's.

I'm doing the same but moving from an iron 408 to an LS3. Since I have the replacement motor still out, just getting the required pieces into it. In the not too distant future, there's a pretty good chance it'll be supercharged this time around (instead of turbos) so I keeping an eye out for set of forged pistons and plan on maybe keeping the stock rods and going with an LS1 crank. Even with just pistons, I agree all the little pieces add up quick.

Thanks and good luck on your end...
Yeah, these motor builds nickel and dime ya to death.

I got (3) motors in my garage (2) more motors in the vettes along with two transmission set-ups (C6 Z06 2008 Tranny & Differential) and a complete A4 set-up.

I garage looks like a tuner shop.

Still got get "Zenak's" sled off my lift so I can move on to my projects. We re-did his suspension with Moog & Spicer ball joints, VBP tie rod ends, SKF bearings, Pfadt Poly Bushings with zerts and a bunch of other maintenance items.

Wish I had more time to relax and play with the cars but my job has had me hopping for the last few months.

What made you switch from PTK to SC ?
Old 03-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would rebalance the assembly just because of the possible addition of weight from the new forged pistons and rods.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by supermouse4
I would rebalance the assembly just because of the possible addition of weight from the new forged pistons and rods.
I would too, but we were only talking about the Katech rod bolts.

If I did pistons and rods, I would send the whole motor out to be done and have the crank keyed too.
Old 03-12-2010, 03:10 PM
AVB
Launching!

Track time was spent on road courses... aside from not being directly connected to the throttle, glowing manifolds right next to the hood for 20minutes at a time wasn't all that great

Originally Posted by BlownVette 2001

What made you switch from PTK to SC ?

Quick Reply: How Much for Forged Pistons & Rods in a LS3