Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

PVD Coating for Engine Parts

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PVD Coating for Engine Parts

I am in the process of putting an engine together and would like to have some of the engine parts (Valves, Piston Pins) PVD Coated with an Anti-Wear Coating. Does anyone know places that offer this coating??

Thanks LS1Tech for all your help!!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 02:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Swaintech is the best. http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10539
Old 02-10-2010, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PVD is Physical Vapor Deposition which is different than common chemical coatings. Is that what you're speaking of? Balzers is a good source for this, but their are others. Keep in mind, the parent material has to be finished with an extremely fine RA. If not, you might as well be running a carbide file up and down the guides, pin bores, etc.

Because of the finish required, Precision Products in NC would be a good place for pins. They do the great work in a variety of materials with DLC (tradename Casidium) coatings. As for Valves, that's a similar situation and plan on letting your high end (Xceldyn, DelWest, etc.) valve manufacturer spec out for you. Keep in mind, these aren't cheap, but you're paying for the super-finish in addition to the PVD.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jontall
They do a great job with the Thermal Barrier Coatings, but I am looking for a Anti Wear Coating.....I think it is different.

Originally Posted by briannutter
PVD is Physical Vapor Deposition which is different than common chemical coatings. Is that what you're speaking of? Balzers is a good source for this, but their are others. Keep in mind, the parent material has to be finished with an extremely fine RA. If not, you might as well be running a carbide file up and down the guides, pin bores, etc.

Because of the finish required, Precision Products in NC would be a good place for pins. They do the great work in a variety of materials with DLC (tradename Casidium) coatings. As for Valves, that's a similar situation and plan on letting your high end (Xceldyn, DelWest, etc.) valve manufacturer spec out for you. Keep in mind, these aren't cheap, but you're paying for the super-finish in addition to the PVD.
Physical Vapor Deposition (PVD) is what I am speaking of, and you are right that is just the coating process, not the coating itself. I have contacted Del West (these are the Intake and Exhaust Valves I have), Xceldyne and Manley and none of those 3 does it in house (as they told me), they send it somewhere. It is not the cost that bothers me it is the 6+ weeks I will be waiting once I ship to them, they ship to the company that does the coating, back to them, then to me. I would rather pay the same (or a little more) and cut out the middle man and get it within a week.

Some company does the coating for them...I just would like to know who does it?

Is Casidium the name of the anti friction coating?

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 02-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the PM!!! I was given the name of the company that offers the coating for Xceldyne Valves...but they are located in Belgium. I would rather work with someone in the US!

Thanks again for everyone for the help!!!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jontall
Swaintech is the best.

Calico Coatings...

Quick Reply: PVD Coating for Engine Parts