Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam sensor for 97 C5

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2010, 06:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam sensor for 97 C5

I have been having problems getting my 97 to idle correctly with my L92 (w/cam) since it's been in the car. I had the earlier reluctor wheel put on the motor prior to installing it (the motor) in the car, but was only recently made aware that the cam has some sort of different piece which triggers the cam sensor....could someone who knows explain this to me....I need change the cam sensor plate?
Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's an LS3 motor you have to change the Cam gear from the 4 point wheel to a single point.If you left the stock(LS3) wheel there it will have a hard time starting and idling.

The easiest thing to do was to buy the conversion harness from LPE and just leave that LS3 reluctor wheel.They have a conversion box that plugs in real easy.
Old 02-14-2010, 07:47 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
If it's an LS3 motor you have to change the Cam gear from the 4 point wheel to a single point.If you left the stock(LS3) wheel there it will have a hard time starting and idling.

The easiest thing to do was to buy the conversion harness from LPE and just leave that LS3 reluctor wheel.They have a conversion box that plugs in real easy.
This is interesting. I use HP Tuners and there is a cam position sensor code. When I did the conversion I got a harness which extended the cam position sensor wire, but didn't realize there was a one point vice 4 point cam gear deal. Now you are saying that LPE has some sort of rewired harness or adapter which will not require me to change to the single point gear...do you know the part number?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by vjjack04; 02-14-2010 at 08:04 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Slowhawk

This is interesting. I use HP Tuners and there is a cam position sensor code. When I did the conversion I got a harness which extended the cam position sensor wire, but didn't realize there was a one point vice 4 point cam gear deal. Now you are saying that LPE has some sort of rewired harness or adapter which will not require me to change to the single point gear...do you know the part number?

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The single point cam gear Slowhawk refers to will have a semicircular "halfmoon" pickup on it, the four point gear will have four notches in it. There are pix here in another recent thread...
Old 02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by S10xGN
The single point cam gear Slowhawk refers to will have a semicircular "halfmoon" pickup on it, the four point gear will have four notches in it. There are pix here in another recent thread...
Thanks. I could not find it in my Helms manuals but will look again.

Quick Reply: Cam sensor for 97 C5