Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Video.....Need Help...ROD KNOCK.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Video.....Need Help...ROD KNOCK.

I did have some bent push-rods nothing that bad. It did sound better for a bit then got bad quick. This is what I do know. I got a great set of heads and 7.4 push-rods got put in after the guy doing the build said the ones I got with the heads where wrong. After talking to all the great people at thunder-racing they said I was supposed to shim the rockers and they are the right length that they sent me. So my first rockers comp gold 1.72 broke 2 of them both on the exhaust side. I got new push-rods and a set of harland sharp rockers(got a good deal). I drove from TX to Cali and it started to knock. I was thinking that part of it was from going from 93oct to 91oct. My Dad had a new set of 7.4 push-rods at his house so I changed them out. Here is the video of that. People are saying that harland sharp are too heavy for my build and cam specs. I have PM some people on here for there thoughts cause they are really knowledgeable. I would love the feed back. No one gave me any love on LS1GTO.com.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:02 PM
Teching In

I really hope and think it is all in the valve-train, but people got me worried with this rod knock. Was on you-tube just listening to all kinds of video. It's not healthy.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:59 PM
Teching In

Well I thought is was worth a try. I will know soon.
Old 02-20-2010, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Sounds like you broke a lifter.

Shim your rockers for proper sweep, then measure pushrod length for lifter preload.

Have fun.
Old 02-20-2010, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by thedak
Sounds like you broke a lifter.

Shim your rockers for proper sweep, then measure pushrod length for lifter preload.

Have fun.
Thanks for the input. I will check it out. I have LS7 lifters and that should be a easy fix if is part of the problem. I should know soon. Thanks again.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it was rod knock it would be louder. You can pull wires of individually and if the sound goes away its that cylinder with rod knock. Sounds JUST like a collapsed lifter. Replace with a good aftermarket set (lunati has a nice set) and you will be gtg.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:56 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have hi flow cats on there with ceramic substrate?

I had a very similar sound and it was the cat. The ceramic substrate had broke and was rapping and echoing throughout the system. Louder at idle than when you reved it very similar to what your hearing. Shot in the dark but worth trying before ripping into it.
Bang on the cat with your fist.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
Do you have hi flow cats on there with ceramic substrate?

I had a very similar sound and it was the cat. The ceramic substrate had broke and was rapping and echoing throughout the system. Louder at idle than when you reved it very similar to what your hearing. Shot in the dark but worth trying before ripping into it.
Bang on the cat with your fist.
I have high flow cats. How would I go about to check and fix it. Thanks for the input. I have been having exhaust leak issues for awhile now. I'll hear it and fix it then with a little time it's back again. I do know that this sound is not the same. I do think that there is a small leak again and I am going to just weld it.
Old 02-21-2010, 03:46 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If the substrate is comimg apart you cant fix it just repalce it with a metalic and it wont/shouldnt happen again.

It will be lose inside the cat, just bang on it and you should hear it.
Old 02-21-2010, 11:26 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a rod. Sounds like valve train problem. Also check your torque converter bolts.
Hope you find the problem.

Quick Reply: Video.....Need Help...ROD KNOCK.