Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LY6 cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2010, 02:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 cam upgrade

I own a 2008 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4. I am looking for a cam upgrade to get more torque out of it. Vince at Tri-Fecta tuned my engine and tranny about a year ago and it made a HUGE difference. But i need low end torque and I dont have it now. From a standing start it wont even spin the tires. I tow a 10,000 lb trailer and I would like to get some more low end out of it. From idle to 3500rpm it feels dead, once over 3500 it pull really hard right up tp 6000rpm. Anyone know of a cam I can swap in to my truck without changing springs,retainers,pushrods.... I'm not having luck finding much. I want low end torque, I want to be able to blaze the tires right off of it!! Really I need off idle to 3500rpm pulling power, anyone have any ideas.
Old 03-04-2010, 03:26 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Most of your complaints come as a result of the stock torque management. GM reduces power electronically with the tune in the PCM ( kind of like ABS but the exact opposite it prevents you from putting down too much power at low speeds ) They do this to lessen strain on the drivetrain and serve the general john'Q nobody who doesnt care about power but prefers reliability and idiot proof vehicles and run on low octane fuel, flex fuel etc etc. My point is even with the stock cam in stock trim theres a TON of power to be unleashed on these engines if you get a good tune done you can expect it to seem like an entire new engine. Waaaaaaay more snap.

Now if thats not enough for you? Get some LT's and cold air intake and a cam and 12's are within grasp! I recommend a PatrickG custom spec'd cam and get him or Geoff and EPS ( Engine power systems to tune it ) they are good guys and have a lot of experience with tuning and custom cams etc. Same price as everyone else but personal service and experience not some tard kid in the back of a shop with a laptop dooooood

If not theres lots of other good tuning shops. Where are you located?
Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I said I already had Vince at Tri-Fecta do a custom tune done, and all torque management was removed, timing and fuel curves were adjusted and the tranny was completely reprogrammed. It did make a night and day difference, but the low end is still lacking, but I can get a nice 1-2 shift and it will lay down 2 - 20 foot stripes when it shifts! My last truck was a 99 3/4 ton with the Vortec 454, so that is the kind of low end grunt I am looking for.
Old 03-05-2010, 09:00 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Sorry didn't catch that part about the tune. The big concern you have is the LY6 runs VVT which adjusts cam phase with the PCM. Currently there are only a half dozen cam grinds available for vvt engines. Geoff at eps has his own proprietary lobes that seem to do more with less which is probably what you need seeing that you want more grunt instad of peak hp.

Also tuning vvt is still a bit of a black art and some seem to do much better than others at it. Anyways cam wise I'd say something like a 218/222 or thereabouts would give your trucks ton more grunt. But before the cam I'd start with long tube headers and a free flowing exhaust combinedwith a decent cold air intake. Those mods alone and a fresh tune to support them might be enough. Keep in mind I am no cam expert so those numbers are just my own guess as to what would work

patrickG charges 25 bucks to spec a custom cam if you want one that will optimize your goals it's a cheap and easy way to get one designed for your needs. Both those guys are site sponsors btw and I should note too that Geoff of eps ( engine power systems ) used to own thunder racing and designedthe cams there that they became famous for.

Good luck whatever route you take

Quick Reply: LY6 cam upgrade