Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

lsx tall deck block

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default lsx tall deck block

im selling all my lt1 stuff and most likely buying a lsx block real soon.does any one have any knowledge on the tall deck block and what would be the benfits....like mabee having the rist pin on the pistion, positioned lower.or is ther any problems with header hight.i can use all your guys info..
Old 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fuel
im selling all my lt1 stuff and most likely buying a lsx block real soon.does any one have any knowledge on the tall deck block and what would be the benfits....like mabee having the rist pin on the pistion, positioned lower.or is ther any problems with header hight.i can use all your guys info..
I've got a Tall deck LSX for sale if you're interested. It's brand new and has never been out of the crate.

2100 plus shipping.

Thanks
Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 08:02 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can tell you it's heavy as hell,and you will def need custom headers.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
i can tell you it's heavy as hell,and you will def need custom headers.
It is heavy, ha ha ha, but that's what those 500 CI are for!
Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

whats the weight diffrence
Old 03-30-2010, 11:42 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Buy an RHS Block.

Yes it is more up front but by the time you get a LSX Block all preped and set up it works out.

I think you will also save like 90lbs over the LSX Block also.
Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

holy ****............ eddie krawiec
Old 03-31-2010, 01:14 AM
FormerVendor

Nothing better than asking a random general question and having a top NHRA racer chime in...that's just cool
Old 03-31-2010, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Thanks for the kind words.

I'm really no better or smarter then anyone else on these forums. I really like this site and it always has great info or feedback on products.Ever since I started my build I have used a lot of info that I found on here to be a huge help. All I'm looking to do is add to it.

As for the block. I looked at a lot of options before I started mine. RHS has built a top notch piece. I want to point out a few things that not everyone looks at. Your block is the base to the whole build and will be their for a long time so buy better and you will never out build it. Also it is almost 100lbs less then a cast steel one. That is a huge weight savings. If you have a cast steel that is weight can never be removed unless you remove it and buy aluminum one. Also look at it as free ET. Less Weight = Better ET's

As I said in the other post. Sometimes you also need to look into all the hidden costs when you buy something. The RHS block can come from them as a rough basic block or ready to build for a few dollars more.

I have gotten quoted by 3 machine shops the prep price for a LSX block and it would cost more in the long run use it. So keep that in mind. Sometimes pay up front and know what you have rather then paying a little at a time and really not knowing what you will pay in the end.

I hope that helps. Ed
Old 03-31-2010, 08:48 AM
9 Second Club

Well said Eddie. People tend to compare blocks by price only and don't factor the cost of prep and machining to have a finished block for assembly. The weight factor is another advantage and I'd rather be underweight and add weight back in the car where it needs it. Another thing about the LSX tall deck is they did not raise the camshaft location which seems counterproductive for a tall deck. At the end of the day I think you need to evaluate your goals and what you are building your combo for. I chose a Dart LS aluminum block for my race car build and a LSX iron block standard deck for my hot rod build.

And yes its pretty awesome when you have a NHRA racer chime in on a post.

Originally Posted by Eddie Krawiec
Thanks for the kind words.

I'm really no better or smarter then anyone else on these forums. I really like this site and it always has great info or feedback on products.Ever since I started my build I have used a lot of info that I found on here to be a huge help. All I'm looking to do is add to it.

As for the block. I looked at a lot of options before I started mine. RHS has built a top notch piece. I want to point out a few things that not everyone looks at. Your block is the base to the whole build and will be their for a long time so buy better and you will never out build it. Also it is almost 100lbs less then a cast steel one. That is a huge weight savings. If you have a cast steel that is weight can never be removed unless you remove it and buy aluminum one. Also look at it as free ET. Less Weight = Better ET's

As I said in the other post. Sometimes you also need to look into all the hidden costs when you buy something. The RHS block can come from them as a rough basic block or ready to build for a few dollars more.

I have gotten quoted by 3 machine shops the prep price for a LSX block and it would cost more in the long run use it. So keep that in mind. Sometimes pay up front and know what you have rather then paying a little at a time and really not knowing what you will pay in the end.

I hope that helps. Ed
Old 03-31-2010, 08:49 AM
10 Second Club

How was 4 wide??? LOL.....
Old 03-31-2010, 09:56 AM
9 Second Club

We choose the tall deck RHS block for alot of the reasons Eddie mentioned.

Hoping the thing runs good .... 460 inches with 400+ worth of nitrous on top of it. LOL

Quick Reply: lsx tall deck block