Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LS2 Clunking Noise When Staring Engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS2 Clunking Noise When Staring Engine

Hey everyone I was wondering if anyone has an input on what to check on my 05 ls2 gto that has 25,000 miles. Starts fine in the morning and if I start back up later on in the afternoon say 1:00pm I get a clunking & sometimes hesitation on startup. It does not do this all the time seems like it’s hit or miss. After it starts it runs normal. Here are something’s I have done to the car since I have purchased it last summer. New spark plugs (NGK's), new battery, just did oil change Mobil 1, just changed alternator and starter. I thought the problem was the solenoid in the starter but I just confirmed today that it’s not the problem. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-16-2010, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

clunking as in starter not meshing correctly?
Old 04-16-2010, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am going get some audio samples posted soon.

If the starter was not meshing correctly I think I would have seen some damage to the starter. I don't recall seeing anything like that on the starter. I have been wondering if injectors may need to be cleaned b/c the guy I bought the car from didn't drive it a lot and sat through winters. Not sure if this could cause the problem that I am having. If the car sits overnight its starts perfect in the morning. If I drive from place to place most times when starting it seems that because of the hesitation starting it may cause that clunking noise.

Quick Reply: LS2 Clunking Noise When Staring Engine