Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

reluctor wheel options 24X or 58X

Old 04-20-2010, 10:22 PM
jnd
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reluctor wheel options 24X or 58X

i just picked up a complete 2002 LQ4 with a spun rod bearing. i belive it has a 24X reluctor wheel. i need a new crank and do not know what reluctor wheel would be best. i plan on running a victor JR intake and LS6 cam if posible but again does the reluctor wheel determine what cam ECU you can run and if so what is the best of the two 24X or 58X to run. tks
Old 04-21-2010, 09:48 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never seen any imperical data that suggests one is better than the other....it really comes down to what TB (cable or electric) you want to run, and a few other accesories that have to jive with the PCM you go with. Do you already have an PCM, or is this a conversion vehicle and you are starting from scratch?

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 04-21-2010, 07:07 PM
jnd
Teching In

This is a conversion and i am starting from scratch. i have a 24X crank that needs to be replaced, so this is the ideal time if i had to make a change. i will be running a twin turbo 10psi with a cable TB. tks
Old 04-21-2010, 07:18 PM
jnd
Teching In

also i have no ecu at the moment, really have not given that much thought yet. would a factory LS system work just as good as a fast system, i understand the tunability would be easier on the fast, or can the GM ECU also be tuned in a forced induction application. tks
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

If you go with a cable TB and a GM PCM, then I am pretty sure you'll be 24X. I cannot think of a single 58x GM vehicle that was cable drive.

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 04-22-2010, 09:23 PM
jnd
Teching In

okay 24X it is, thanks for you help. just got a call today from a local machine shop that he has a 6.0 24X std crank on hand. i gues it was meant to be.

thanks again, im sure i will have more questions as i move further into the build.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:01 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Glad to help. Let us know if we can help with anything on the build!

Old 04-23-2010, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry for piggybacking on this thread but I have a question along the same lines. I just bought an LS2 bare block to swap in to a Chevy truck. I'm going to run a dbw tb and I've been wondering about the 24 or 58 question as well. I don't have an ECU or harness yet, so any suggestions? If there's no performance difference, would there be a cost difference that would swing me one way or the other? Any other advantages either way?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2010, 01:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gen IV LSx engine ECM's have no provision for an idle air control motor. Which means that cable driven throttle bodies cannot be used with a 58x system. If I were you I would get a 24x system with a 99-02 F body ECM. This is the most widely tuned OEM ECM for GM w/ EFI LIVE and HP Tuners.

If you are stuck on the DBW then of course 58x is your only option that I know of. The parts for the 58x shouldnt be that much more expensive. You just dont see very many folks going this route. Most do the 24x as it is much more aftermarket friendly.
Old 04-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Staging Lane

I probably should have mentioned that I already have l92 heads with an ls3 intake and dbw throttle body. I've read about issues with the ls3 maf working with ls2 ecu and some people are siliconing in the ls2 maf or getting an adapter to use the ls3 maf with ls2 harness. It sounds like there are issues with ls3 maf throwing codes at the ls2 ecu with the adapter. I'm trying to avoid this frustration.

I guess I'm not stuck on the 58x. I could always sell my dbw tb and get a cable driven tb. I don't even have a gas pedal in the truck yet so I could go either way. I'm keeping all options open at this point so your info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:50 PM
Teching In

I have swapped from dbw to cable with same harness with ease and no issues.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: reluctor wheel options 24X or 58X