Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need an opinion, and Options.. for my possibly blown LS7.. please help diagnose!

Old 10-12-2010, 06:57 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need an opinion, and Options.. for my possibly blown LS7.. please help diagnose!

Hey guys..

sorry if these questions are beat to death.. i already searched but remains inconclusive..

So.

I took my car out for the first time after being ground up built(i have a classic chevy with an LS7)

I bought the engine from IPSmotorsports about 2 or 3 years ago and they told me it was pulled from an 07 vette with 1k miles on it for a TT LSX.

so.. it was the last of my worries that the motor was anything but good.

well.. so im putting around at about 65 or 70 going down the highway(only driven it about 40 miles total) then i hear a slight shimming sound.. it was faint at first.. then it got loud..

then went away...

then it came back about 10 mins later... got REALLY loud.. then went away... slight smoke.
at this point i was looking for a place to stop.

as i came off the exit.. i put it in 1 lower gear then BOOF!! and the engine cut off with a large puff of smoke..

as we looked at it on the side of the road we let it cool and tried to start it.. first without the fuel pump to see how it cranks..

it doesnt crank like normal.. it has a slight stutter in the cranking..

like.. rarararaRA*raraRA*rararrarararaRA*raraRA *rararrarararaRA*raraRA*rarar

with a small puff of smoke coming from the breather tube on the driver side..

sounds like a offbeat type rhythym... then we snatched off the valve covers and the passenger side head(at the closest to the firewall) there were signs of really burned up oil.. but the rest was spot on..

there was NO oil spilling and no oil loss when we checked the dry sump tank and none on the ground as we worked on it.. not a drop.

then we turned on the fuel pump when it was all cool..and it cranked up..

my mechanic says he thinks the block is blown.. he thinks its bottom end.. thats how it sounds to him.

now im at a cross road.. should i buy a stock bottom end and put her all back together?... or should i get an aftermarket setup?
also are there any good LS7(or LS whatever) builders in the Atlanta area(who are actually cool to do this)

id just like to get her back rolling.. even though shes setup for allout roadracing.. which i plan to do when the next season comes round.

can you please lend some advice..

thank you!

A.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VenomousType
Hey guys..

sorry if these questions are beat to death.. i already searched but remains inconclusive..

So.

I took my car out for the first time after being ground up built(i have a classic chevy with an LS7)

I bought the engine from IPSmotorsports about 2 or 3 years ago and they told me it was pulled from an 07 vette with 1k miles on it for a TT LSX.

so.. it was the last of my worries that the motor was anything but good.

well.. so im putting around at about 65 or 70 going down the highway(only driven it about 40 miles total) then i hear a slight shimming sound.. it was faint at first.. then it got loud..

then went away...

then it came back about 10 mins later... got REALLY loud.. then went away... slight smoke.
at this point i was looking for a place to stop.

as i came off the exit.. i put it in 1 lower gear then BOOF!! and the engine cut off with a large puff of smoke..

as we looked at it on the side of the road we let it cool and tried to start it.. first without the fuel pump to see how it cranks..

it doesnt crank like normal.. it has a slight stutter in the cranking..

like.. rarararaRA*raraRA*rararrarararaRA*raraRA *rararrarararaRA*raraRA*rarar

with a small puff of smoke coming from the breather tube on the driver side..

sounds like a offbeat type rhythym... then we snatched off the valve covers and the passenger side head(at the closest to the firewall) there were signs of really burned up oil.. but the rest was spot on..

there was NO oil spilling and no oil loss when we checked the dry sump tank and none on the ground as we worked on it.. not a drop.

then we turned on the fuel pump when it was all cool..and it cranked up..

my mechanic says he thinks the block is blown.. he thinks its bottom end.. thats how it sounds to him.

now im at a cross road.. should i buy a stock bottom end and put her all back together?... or should i get an aftermarket setup?
also are there any good LS7(or LS whatever) builders in the Atlanta area(who are actually cool to do this)

id just like to get her back rolling.. even though shes setup for allout roadracing.. which i plan to do when the next season comes round.

thank you!

A.
In the Atlanta area, try Vengence Racing. They are actually located in Cumming, Ga., but it's within Atlanta. I never dealt with them but I heard they are very good.
Old 10-13-2010, 12:29 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A failed exhaust valve is a possibility.

Last edited by Whistler; 10-13-2010 at 12:46 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 02:03 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Call my buddy mike. He is a GM tech & has a stock LS7 that he took out of a vette for warranty. He can also fix yours probably. He said call him 1-615- 456-5252 Ask for Mike. He does work on the side at his house. He lives 20 miles south of nashville towards you.
Old 10-15-2010, 03:02 PM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by VenomousType
Hey guys..

thank you!

A.
First things first, verify that something is wrong with the internals. It could be valvetrain related or even something external.

I would drop the pan and look for metal flakes or pieces and take off the valvecovers and inspect the valvetrain. Sometimes the lash caps that go over the titanium valves come off and can cause some havoc.
Old 10-15-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take that bitch to VENGEANCE

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need an opinion, and Options.. for my possibly blown LS7.. please help diagnose!