Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil in the heads intake runners...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in the heads intake runners...

Today i took off my LS3 intake so i could paint it and i found a buch of oil on the intake ports of my L92 heads...and some on the ends of my LS3 intake manifold.

I checked the valve seals and they looked ok, i only have 5000 miles on my set up. i also have my PVC deleted, i also checked the valley cover tube to see if it was cloged, but it was clean. when i took the intake off i stuck my hands as far as i could reach and there was no oil in it at all. only on the last two inches of he intake ports.

has anybody had any issues like what i am having?

Last edited by crakhead; 03-19-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 07:50 PM
Teching In

Yes it is common on LS engines. Many speed shops sell oil catch cans to reduce this
Old 03-18-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

I don't need a catch can, i have a PCV delete. there is no oil what's so ever in the intake manifold.... the oil is on the intake ports of the heads, more on the drivers side than the passengers side, but they both are covered with oil.

the valley cover is bone dry, i took off both valve covers and checked the seals, they looked in mint condition, the heads only have five thousand miles.

i'm glad i decided to paint my intake manifold or i would of never realized what was going on...

Last edited by crakhead; 03-19-2011 at 07:29 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:38 PM
On The Tree

the only thing i have done lately was to install a valve cover breather in place of the stock oil filler cap and run a hose on the passenger side valve cover to vent out the crank case gases, but i can't see that as the cause for all that oil being there.....i also did the porting myself so i know i did not go far enough into the rocker stud.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like me and you are in the same boat! The other day I had my intake off and I noticed a small amount of oil in the intake runner. It also baffles me because I have a similar with the PCV deleted/breather. It's not my heads either because I put a fair amount of teflon on the intake bolts, plus it's on every cylinder. Hopefully someone can provide some insight on this condition.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:34 AM
On The Tree

It seems like no one here has had any oiling issues......last night i did an extensive search on this matter but i did not find any sollutions to the problem at hand....or am i starting this thread in a wrong section...

Last edited by crakhead; 03-19-2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-19-2011, 09:42 AM
On The Tree

Even with all that oil in the head intake ports the car ran super great...in the mornings it starts a little slow due to the e85 fuel i am using, but once it gets going it runs hard core, scared the day light out of me when i switched to my stock 18" wheels with 265/35/18 R compound out on the back....once the converter kicks in and your not going straight, watch out, your going side ways bound...Drifting style....
Old 03-19-2011, 09:52 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by crakhead
Even with all that oil in the head intake ports the car ran super great...in the mornings it starts a little slow due to the e85 fuel i am using, but once it gets going it runs hard core, scared the day light out of me when i switched to my stock 18" wheels with 265/35/18 R compound out on the back....once the converter kicks in and your not going straight, watch out, your going side ways bound...Drifting style....
Yeah, I think this topic is in the wrong section because I think it's pretty common. I have some friends with catch cans that say the same thing. My car also runs awesome under this condition so I guess it's nothing to worry about.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:00 AM
On The Tree

I purchased the L92 Heads brand spanking new, all i did was clean them up with a deburing tool then followed by rotary sanding, just to clean them up, i never got any where close to the Rocker Studs, plus the studs where already installed at the factory so where the valve seals.....all i did was replace the springs, titanium retainers, locks, and a set of stock intake Roller Rockers.....i even used the stock valves.

I don't have any vacum leaks, just incase some one ask.

I'm just courious as to where that oil came from, because i am going to install my painted LS3 Intake manifold today and just go with the Flow...

Anybody in my shoes Please shoot me some Knowledge.

Regards,
crakhead
Old 03-19-2011, 11:38 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What are your cam specs? Is the oil black and sooty or clear and wet? It could be reversion.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Regular

I would like enlightment. Same issue here with my Maggie and I have no PCV....
Old 03-20-2011, 01:45 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Whistler
What are your cam specs? Is the oil black and sooty or clear and wet? It could be reversion.
My cam has 9° overlap...it was black and sooty on the drivers side and clear and sooty on the passenger side...
Old 03-20-2011, 03:23 AM
TECH Regular

? Reversion? What if your cam is like me and only has 3* overlap?
Old 03-20-2011, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Reversion is only going to give you burnt exhaust gas soot, in other words carbon build up, not oil...Reversion, carburetor/Injector "stand-off" or the general effect of the backing up of the intake Fuel/Air charge normally associated with longer duration high-performance camshafts is actually caused by a Later Intake Closing!

Specifically, when the intake valve opens some 40 or more degrees before T.D.C. at the end of the exhaust stroke, very little (virtually no) exhaust gases remain in the cylinder. The piston is in the vicinity of T.D.C. (only .425" down the hole @40o BTDC - on a typical 350" Chevy with 5.700" rods) and no appreciable threat is posed to the forthcoming intake charge. The "False Reversion Hypothesis" taken to an extreme would lead one to the equally false conclusion that any overlapping of the intake and exhaust valves is totally undesirable. as for my good friend the legendary Smokey Yunick might say, "Only country smarts are required to solve the problem."

Regards,
crakhead
Old 03-20-2011, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

It's blowby and cam overlap attributes. Every performance engine burns oil it's normal. Small wisps of oil air come back into the intake and the oil sticks to the wall of the intake/cylinder head ports and fine dust the air filter doesn't catch also catches on the oily residue. Eventually it accumulates and you see the little puddle in the intake
Old 03-20-2011, 10:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ND400
It's blowby and cam overlap attributes. Every performance engine burns oil it's normal. Small wisps of oil air come back into the intake and the oil sticks to the wall of the intake/cylinder head ports and fine dust the air filter doesn't catch also catches on the oily residue. Eventually it accumulates and you see the little puddle in the intake
I understand....but mine was inside the intake runners in the Heads...all the runners had some form of oil residue, and a few had carbon and oil mixed together forming some kind of sludge.

Last edited by crakhead; 03-20-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Makes total sense!
Old 03-20-2011, 11:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What kind of lifters and valve covers do you have? GM is having problem with Gen IV's having "over active lifters". If you just have a hose running from the valve cover to the intake then it could still be because of the old style valve cover. If you just have it plugged then I have no idea
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crakhead
I understand....but mine was inside the intake runners in the Heads...all the runners had some form of oil residue, and a few had carbon and oil mixed together forming some kind of sludge.
Either it's leaking around the rocker bolts/studs or the valve seals.
Old 03-21-2011, 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
What kind of lifters and valve covers do you have? GM is having problem with Gen IV's having "over active lifters". If you just have a hose running from the valve cover to the intake then it could still be because of the old style valve cover. If you just have it plugged then I have no idea
I am using the stock 06 LS2 valve covers...and I have no hose running from the valve cover to the Intake.

I have a PCV delete, that means that the throttle body is plugged, and the fresh air tube on the passengers valve cover has a 3" piece of hose connected to it with a filter at the end.

the valley cover tube has a hose running down to the bottom of the engine, thats where all the funky crankcase gases go and it helps to keep the smell out of the inside cabin.

there is no oil coming out that hose cause i have checked it numerous times by placing a piece of card board under the area where the hose is....and i have tried it with the engine on, and with the engine off and as of yet i have not seen any oil residue on the cardboard.

Quick Reply: Oil in the heads intake runners...