Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Vortec gen IV 6.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vortec gen IV 6.0

I have an engine out of what i was told an 07 chevy silverado, it has the square port heads which i think are considered the ls-3 heads and an iron block and has VVT. it also has a 6l90e trans and im trying to figure out what this engine is classified as. when i purchased it i was told it was an lq9 with a 4l65e trans which it clearely is not. thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Vortec gen IV 6.0-chevy6.0.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:49 AM
Launching!

Looks like a ly6 5.3 vvt
edit
I meant 6.0
Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 AM
Teching In

Thanks, i have been reading around and your right. What would be some good performance mods to do to this engine? i do not have a computer but i do have the complete wire harness and i am also missing the petal assembly for the drive by wire.

I will be putting this combo in my 72 chevy c10.

What computer should i pick up, i also need a mass air flow sensor, o2 sensors, and what petal and tach module? thanks
Attached Thumbnails Vortec gen IV 6.0-pats-new-pics-025.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 10:52 AM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by sobayshortbed
I have an engine out of what i was told an 07 chevy silverado, it has the square port heads which i think are considered the ls-3 heads and an iron block and has VVT. it also has a 6l90e trans and im trying to figure out what this engine is classified as. when i purchased it i was told it was an lq9 with a 4l65e trans which it clearely is not. thanks.
You scored imo. The LY6 is a MUCH better engine than the LQ4 and so its the 6L90E > 4Lcrapola.

To answer some of your questions.

Fuel pedal. You can run any fuel pedal from either an 07+ truck or a lot of swappers run a C6 Corvette fuel pedal as they are common and relatively cheap to buy new. I think I paid 75 bucks or so for mine. No TAC module needed for these newer systems btw but the wiring for the fuel pedal is in the dash harness so you will need a plug which you can buy in this link

http://www.eficonnection.com/eficonn...spx?ItemId=579

For the computer Id seek out one from the same truck that your engine came from. You'll also need the transmission computer as well ( yes they are separate )

MAF is easy you can either buy a truck one or do a card style maf which is the way to go imo you just need to get a good tuner to rescale it for you. Heres a link with pics and pn's

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...or-option.html

O2 sensors I would run the C6 style as they react faster than the truck ones do which is better for performance.

As for mods? Im a NA fan so Id stuff a decent cam in there and maybe a circle D stall and of course long tubes and decent duals as well as maybe an underdrive pulley and maybe an LS3 intake swap. Get a decent cam and that truck should pull 12's
Old 09-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks cam, good info right there. I am going to do this swap to slow the truck down a little bit and make it a driver. There is a 400 donovan in it right now and it is a pain in the but, plus the ls stuff is where it's at these days.
Attached Thumbnails Vortec gen IV 6.0-donovan1.jpg  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Cam, i was under the impression the trans modules were located in the six speed trannys? So i should go with a stock 07 silverado computer, my friend owns a NAPA store so i can get pretty good deals on stuff. On these newer engines the wiring will go straight from the petal to the throttle body, no need for that little black box on the firewall? Just clarifying, thanks

Last edited by sobayshortbed; 09-12-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Vortec gen IV 6.0