Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Consumption 4.125 stroke 427 How bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 07:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Consumption 4.125 stroke 427 How bad?

Ok Im narrowing down my options I am wanting to do an LY6 for better 823/L92 Heads and from what research I have done the Gen IV has a little thicker wall so will accept my 4.060 bore more comfortably. My primary concern is with this long stroke at BDC the piston will rock and the rings will lose full contact allowing oil to pass (not rocket science lol) But how bad will this be? I want to drive this car some pretty good distances and I dont want to be worrying about it. Example driving from NM to CA and losing a quart of oil. I have had enough oil puking and sucking SB and BBCs I want a nice fuel injected turn key shut the hood and forget about it engine lol. I know I should keep it more square and go with the LSX block that i can punch larger and go with a shorter 4" stroke. But money doesnt grow on trees, Hence the LY6 that will already have most of the items i need for a lot cheaper, After FAST EFI, Cam, Stroker Kit and the LSX block im staring down $10k which is a little more than i want to spend right now. So is anyone running a 427 (4.060 bore 4.125 stroke) and if so how bad is your oil consumption? And this combo with VVT removed and a 220ish Intake 230ish range exhaust on 114-116lsa cam I'm hoping to see 475-500 HP and TQ numbers any ideas? Opinions and answers greatly appreciated thanks,
Josh
Old 10-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Launching!

I am running a 4.070x4.125 wiseco setup and to this point I have no oil consumption issues. In your case I would still go with a 4.000 stroke because of the usage that you want. I don't think that teh extra .125 stroke is going to kill your power enough to be an issue but the piston stability will help for your application. I expect my engine to use some oil and for me it's not an issue. Once it get bad enough it getting sleeved and bored to a 447.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Thanks, Only problem with that is that gives me 414ci im doin a "427 yenko" "Tribute" so my 2 options are a 4.060 bore and 4.125 stroke (LY6 possible) Or 4.125 bore and 4'' stroke which would require an lsx block. I know undersquare gives me a bit more torque which is kind of what i want but I dont want oil consumption problems, Oversquare will eliminate oil consumption and give me a little more top end but.... Expensive block and more parts to buy that the LY6 will already have... If its not enough to really worry about comsumption wise I want to go the LY6 route.. Much appreciated on your engine that helps, Is yours a strictly track engine? How much is it using between changes or per however many hours etc. Again much appreciated.

Josh
Old 10-25-2011, 12:24 PM
8 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Just tell people it's a 427, how they gonna know its only 40x
Old 10-25-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Regular

Resleeving a used block is another alternative to buying a lsx block...Why not sell your ly6 iron block, keep the heads and assesories...then buy a 5.3 aluminum block to have dry sleeved by ERL or R.E.D? You'll have your 4.125 bore or more if you choose to go bigger! It should save you a couple of bucks if you go the 4.125 bore route. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...d-block-2.html

Last edited by deeloc1; 10-25-2011 at 04:17 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:21 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3pedals
Just tell people it's a 427, how they gonna know its only 40x
They wont but I will lol and its kind of important to have a true 427 cubes

Originally Posted by deeloc1
Resleeving a used block is another alternative to buying a lsx block...Why not sell your ly6 iron block, keep the heads and assesories...then buy a 5.3 aluminum block to have dry sleeved by ERL or R.E.D? You'll have your 4.125 bore or more if you choose to go bigger! It should save you a couple of bucks if you go the 4.125 bore route. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...d-block-2.html
That is an option I have thought about too but im still pretty uneasy about a sleeved block for the amount of miles and different climates this engines going to see, I really dont want coolant seepage issues, And two im kinda wanting an Iron block for this one Thanks so far guys Inputs are greatly appreciated,

Josh
Old 10-26-2011, 07:32 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 69SYC
That is an option I have thought about too but im still pretty uneasy about a sleeved block for the amount of miles and different climates this engines going to see, I really dont want coolant seepage issues, And two im kinda wanting an Iron block for this one Thanks so far guys Inputs are greatly appreciated,

Josh
Coolant seepage issues would never be a problem with a resleeved block from either of those two companies listed. The real limiting factor is the price.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Launching!

Mine is actually in a jet boat. It runs at 3800 -4000 90% of time at 10-12 in vacum. so loaded fairly well at that. I only turn 5600 at Wot though. Hi performance jet boat motors usually make it approx 300 hrs max as jet boats are hard on engines. Mine has about 40 on it right now. I don't expect it to make it more than 150 because of the way I drive it.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MeentSS02
Coolant seepage issues would never be a problem with a resleeved block from either of those two companies listed. The real limiting factor is the price.
No disrespect to any shops or companies sleeving blocks but with my background in Caterpillar Quality Standards an aftermarket sleeved aluminum block makes me uneasy and yes price is another limiting factor and IMHO a more risky roll of the dice, I could be completely wrong as this is pretty pretty fresh to me "pre concieved ideas are a killer"

Originally Posted by allblowdup
Mine is actually in a jet boat. It runs at 3800 -4000 90% of time at 10-12 in vacum. so loaded fairly well at that. I only turn 5600 at Wot though. Hi performance jet boat motors usually make it approx 300 hrs max as jet boats are hard on engines. Mine has about 40 on it right now. I don't expect it to make it more than 150 because of the way I drive it.
Good to know I was hoping to get a little more life than that out of an engine lol but like you say different applications have different effects on engines.. If the oil consumption is not terrible 1qt or so between changes I think I will go my original route but would like to know more before I make that jump, Thanks again for the responses they are helping and appreciated,

Josh
Old 10-26-2011, 12:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

I just received my 421(4.03" bore x 4.125" stroke) back from ERL. The oiling is not as much of a problem as it was years ago. They have the design for the piston down alot better for the long strokes. When ERL built mine we put in HT oil rings to help in that department also.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FlamingTA
I just received my 421(4.03" bore x 4.125" stroke) back from ERL. The oiling is not as much of a problem as it was years ago. They have the design for the piston down alot better for the long strokes. When ERL built mine we put in HT oil rings to help in that department also.
Congrats on your purchase thats pretty slick lookin forward to hearin how it works out, Ill shoot ya a PM in a few months and see how its doin consumption wise after ya get it broke in, I kinda figured somethin had to be developed to help it and thats also good to know about the rings much appreciated thanks,

Josh
Old 10-29-2011, 12:28 AM
Teching In

Anyone else out there running this combination for a 427? 4.060x4.125 If so how is your consumption and how do you like it? Thanks,

Josh

Quick Reply: Oil Consumption 4.125 stroke 427 How bad?