Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

new ls376/525 crate engine...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by allblowdup
i don't think that it would pass those emissions. The cam is 110 l/c and gives a noticable lope at idle. I guess it is possible.

The 525 hp from GM is with headers but is a reserved number. they make 550-560 hp. std corrected on a typical dyno.
Just to bump this because i was looking for information, the ls376/525 defiantly DOES NOT make 550-560hp. I have one - headers, intake, tune - it barely makes 500hp on the dyno (flywheel, not rear wheel). Tune is solid (timing good, a/f good, 91 octane, etc..).

I know somebody else with one who did similar numbers. Another guy made 540 with his, but he has a fully ported heads, so it's not really fair to compare.

Gm definately does not under-rate these engines, they over-rate them.

Mine has a nice lope to it and sounds nice, but the drivability of the cam is **** poor (I have a heavily cammed 408w (351w stroker) that drives like a honda civic compared to this cam).

All in all, given the problems with GM crate engines (pinched o-rings, improperly torqued head bolts, leaking RMS, etc..) I am not impressed and will not be buying another GM crate engine again.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by efnfast
Just to bump this because i was looking for information, the ls376/525 defiantly DOES NOT make 550-560hp. I have one - headers, intake, tune - it barely makes 500hp on the dyno (flywheel, not rear wheel). Tune is solid (timing good, a/f good, 91 octane, etc..).

I know somebody else with one who did similar numbers. Another guy made 540 with his, but he has a fully ported heads, so it's not really fair to compare.

Mine has a nice lope to it and sounds nice, but the drivability of the cam is **** poor (I have a heavily cammed 408w (351w stroker) that drives like a honda civic compared to this cam).

All in all, given the problems with GM crate engines (pinched o-rings, improperly torqued head bolts, leaking RMS, etc..) I am not impressed and will not be buying another GM crate engine again.

I am really considering this motor for a HPDE car ... I do hope that your experience is the exception not the rule. I would think that a company like GM would not have pervasive quality control issues with the assembly of the motors ... (Heads not torqued / O-rings smashed) and they are advertising / showing dyno sheets with the motor showing 525 flywheel power it seems like if it was 40-50 off (since you are just getting 500 with headers and intake ) they would have all kinds of people up their tail ... Thanks for the post I will have to see if others chime in or dig deeper into GM claims and quality control.
Old 06-14-2013, 05:15 AM
Teching In

Sorry to reopen. Looking at the GM crate LS3 480 and 525 for a 33 hot rod. Want something that idles with a bit more of a lope than a stock LS3. But will get regular use. Has anyone bought either recently? How's the ls3/525 at low rpm, more than happy to go with the 480 but these days the price difference isn't much of a stretch to the 525.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My advice would be to buy a standard LS3 crate and get a cam ground for your intended use. I advise this because, well, that's exactly what I did and am very happy with my choice.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:17 AM
Teching In

The Best price I've found for the LS376/525 was at Jeg's. Includes Free Shipping & is priced as crate engine or as a kit including ECU & harness.
Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by efnfast

WE have dynoed these motors countless times and YES they are over 500 hp. I know of at least 25-30 of these engines running and I have not seen any leaking head gaskets,orings or any real issues other than tune related. We don't run them over 6400 rpm mind you. The biggest issues with them is if you get deto as the ct525 does not have deto control they totally yard sale the motor everywhere. nothing left to fix.

The FI 525 runs real nice and makes good power also but has deto control. We carb guys have to run Av gas to make sure we don't get some det the guy running the FI525 just runs 91 octane pump
Attached Thumbnails new ls376/525 crate engine...-scan0003_962.jpg   new ls376/525 crate engine...-ls3dyno.jpg  
Old 09-13-2013, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by cspecken
Tried to get pricing from my local GM shop but they do not have the details yet. Looks like Pace has them listed on their site. Might have to consider this for my GTO project, was looking at going with the ls3/480 but things may have changed!!!

Still need to look into other LS3 builders like Mass, Turn Key, and Katech. Just curious if anyone has done comparisons $ for $, hp to hp and warranty to warranty with these builders and GMPP. If so I would be interested in your findings.

Thanks in advance, Chris
Katech's warranty is only decent if THEY install it.
Old 09-13-2013, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by DubNova
Is the idle ok for a street cat with power brks? The cam doesn't look that big but, sometimes numbers can fool you. I have a t56 in a Chevy II.
10-12 lbs vacum
Old 04-28-2015, 02:46 AM
Teching In

I have this engine. With kooks longtubes(1 3/4), lingenfelter CAI, xpipe and bullets and ran 448/433 on a synergy tune. If anyone knows Rick at synergy, he tunes for the entire power band, not just peak numbers. Could have easily squeezed another 15-20 hp on a cutthroat tune and a dynojet. So 448/.85=527. Not bad for 4.10 gears on a dynopak.

Last edited by YTryJr; 04-28-2015 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: new ls376/525 crate engine...