Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Building bottom end of lsa motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building bottom end of lsa motor

Hey there. I have a 2009 cts-v with a ton of miles...over 100k. I am getting nervous that the added bolt ons will push the engine over the edge soon and was thinking of taking some pro-active action and forging up the bottom end. I have been steady researching this but am more confused now then over. Any recommendations on the most cost effective and best way to accomplish this? Thanks much for any advice I really have no knowledge with this type of stuff.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 930chas
Hey there. I have a 2009 cts-v with a ton of miles...over 100k. I am getting nervous that the added bolt ons will push the engine over the edge soon and was thinking of taking some pro-active action and forging up the bottom end. I have been steady researching this but am more confused now then over. Any recommendations on the most cost effective and best way to accomplish this? Thanks much for any advice I really have no knowledge with this type of stuff.
I have an 06 GTO with 122,000 miles on it...have been cammed and over 400 rwhp since 45,000 miles. If she blows tomorrow, I will not forge anything since I have no desire to boost or spray.

Provided that your bolt-ons are not causing it to knock and you have no reason to suspect problems, I wouldn't do a damn thing to it.

If you want some reassurance, I would do a good oil sample, and send it in to Blackstone Labs. (they'll send you a test kit for free) If you want, you can also do a leak-down test to make sure your rings and valves are all sealing up well. Other than that, just check your oil pressure to make sure it is just fine, and I would think you'll be good till way over 200,000 miles on the airframe.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or if building it up is what you prefer, then you can do it two ways.

1) buy some forged rods and pistons and have a machine shop freshen your cam bearings etc. You can now add all of the mods you like.

2) you can get A stroker kit and make it a 416 specifically for boost and well you know what that means.

Either way you'll have a new motor w/ 100k + more miles.

Keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Building bottom end of lsa motor