Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls3 Engine Knock at 8,000 miles ???

Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls3 Engine Knock at 8,000 miles ???

Diagnostic question for ya guys...I have a built 2009 c6 with 8,000 miles on the motor. TEA ls3 heads, fast intake, and vengeance stage 3 ls3 cam with all supporting mods all built by vengeance. Build has about 6k on the the engine. Car is never abused and NEVER TAKEN TO HIGH rpms, completely babied...On the way home from work the other night i noticed over the radio and tick and a knock and it wont go away and taking to the dealer to check it out in the am. The knock is coming from the left cylinder head and makes a pretty good noise. Its not real bad when you first start it up but it gets a little louder as it runs. Oil pressure is normal, temp is normal, fluid (oil is fine) and everything else seems ok....I recently went from factory 10-30 to 10-40 about 1,000 miles ago if that could have anything to do with it. I know its hard to to tell with out hearing the noise but do you guys have any ideas on what kind of issue this could be...Im thinking maybe a lifter gone bad??? What do you guys think. Thanks for all your input.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That knocking noise almost sounds like what I heard on mine. Came from a bad lifter which had a flat spot on the roller. After it reached the peak lift on the lobe it started slamming down on the back profile of the lobe. Combination of high ramp rates, lift and spring pressure caused it.
Let us know but considering your mods, would warrenty really cover this? Dealers sure can get expensive. Heads need to be pulled to check lifters.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:18 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Skypilot797
That knocking noise almost sounds like what I heard on mine. Came from a bad lifter which had a flat spot on the roller. After it reached the peak lift on the lobe it started slamming down on the back profile of the lobe. Combination of high ramp rates, lift and spring pressure caused it.
Let us know but considering your mods, would warrenty really cover this? Dealers sure can get expensive. Heads need to be pulled to check lifters.
I know warranty wont cover it at all, i just really dont see any other options accept sending it back to vengeance which is 6 hours away in which that case i will have to wait until january to mess with that. I just dont see any other options other than the dealer at least looking at and determining what the problem is. I thought you just had to remove the valve cover to replace the lifters huh, removing the cylinder head would be rediculous for that I will let you know their outragious quote just for ***** and giggles.......But if it if something expensive like that i will just send it to vengeance and do some upgraded when i have the extra cash to spare.......Anyone else had this problem?
Old 12-07-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Regular

Its a lifter...Dealer want even touch it and believe me when i say i wouldnt let them.... Maybe a good time for some upgrades i guess
Old 12-17-2011, 10:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the same problems, but my engine had run far less that this, but it is a race engine... One of the 16 lifters had a flat roller, and the Cam witch is actually a TSP Torquer v2 (Engine built in 2009 by Street Rod Engines) took some heavy damage. I have not blamed eater TSP or SRE for this, they have both shown great service, and what I think in my case was a loss of oil pressure during a training session in the top of engine that caused it. There where used L92 heads with springs and rockers, and what seems to be stock lifters. See attached picture of cam and lifter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls3 Engine Knock at 8,000 miles ???