Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Hutter Performance's 440 LSX.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2011, 11:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hutter Performance's 440 LSX.

Did a quick search and didn't come up with much, however I figured some of you might know.

What heads are used here, and what sort of grind is on this cam?

Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_6txu-ytlQ
Old 12-12-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Regular

Sorry guess I should've clarified,

Are these Cathedral Port heads or LS3 style,

And what's the approximate grind on this cam? I was hoping Bobby Lashley might chime in because I think he has done some work with Hutter in the past.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:57 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IDRIVEAG8GT
Sorry guess I should've clarified,

Are these Cathedral Port heads or LS3 style,

And what's the approximate grind on this cam? I was hoping Bobby Lashley might chime in because I think he has done some work with Hutter in the past.
Wilson sheet alumimum intake, I would "assume" MAST/MOZEZ heads. The engine has run the fastest NA times so far...2005 GTO 7.709 @ 172.99. NA. No boost. Wow.
Old 12-12-2011, 01:12 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SDB
Wilson sheet alumimum intake, I would "assume" MAST/MOZEZ heads. The engine has run the fastest NA times so far...2005 GTO 7.709 @ 172.99. NA. No boost. Wow.
It's a badass indeed, that's why I wanted more info. I emailed them about it, but they gave no specifics, except that it would cost 40k to build. Especially considering it makes power to like 9500 rpm!
Old 12-12-2011, 01:15 PM
FormerVendor

Not sure what heads either, however they are NOT the "MOZEZ" heads. The Mozez heads use a SB2 style valve cover and those are a standard LS style cover. Awesome N/A Power for sure!

Chris
Old 12-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TECH Regular

I wonder..... The video says that Hutter did their own port/polish job on the heads. So I imagine it'd be a GM cast head (style unknown) or even a MAST head that somehow they twacked out even more, although I don't see how that's possible.

What theoretical flow would you have to have on the heads to develop that sort of power? Over 400cfm?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:46 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder..... The video says that Hutter did their own port/polish job on the heads. So I imagine it'd be a GM cast head (style unknown) or even a MAST head that somehow they twacked out even more, although I don't see how that's possible.

What theoretical flow would you have to have on the heads to develop that sort of power? Over 400cfm?
I would imagine 450+cfm at least....
$40K to build and lots of $$$ to maintain....I can imagine you dont get many passes on valve springs on a 10,000+rpm set up!

BUT..to run 7.7x's with a NA small block is priceless! However, you can get get a streetable big block pump gas motor that makes 1000hp/865 torque (632 cube Shafifroff motor) for $22K, and a race gas motor for $15k that makes a little more power).
Old 12-12-2011, 03:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hutter used to build engines for NASCAR. Call 'em. They'll answer your questions. If you're out of state & want someone to keep an eye on an engine build for you, Hutter is only 25 min. from here; just let me know. BTW, Ron Hutter is a well respected professional engine builder. His kids ain't too shabby either.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:45 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LS1-450
Hutter used to build engines for NASCAR. Call 'em. They'll answer your questions. If you're out of state & want someone to keep an eye on an engine build for you, Hutter is only 25 min. from here; just let me know. BTW, Ron Hutter is a well respected professional engine builder. His kids ain't too shabby either.
Didn't know that. Like I said, I e-mailed them about this motor and they were reluctant to give up specifics. I don't blame them however, it's big, badass, and the best in the N/A world.

Thanks for chiming in man.
Old 12-13-2011, 09:31 AM

It's not quite as expensive to maintain as you might think. We changed valve springs once a year, when we went through and checked the bearings, etc... after the season. We do have this engine for sale right now - the GTO went to a buyer in Australia, but he bought it as a rolling chassis. So although this would be a pretty expensive engine to duplicate new, we have this one priced somewhat lower (and are open to reasonable offers as well).

The heads are All Pro with CFE/Hutter porting.

Thank you for all the compliments in this thread - we work hard at making power here!

Last edited by MHutter519; 12-13-2011 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:23 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by MHutter519
It's not quite as expensive to maintain as you might think. We changed valve springs once a year, when we went through and checked the bearings, etc... after the season. We do have this engine for sale right now - the GTO went to a buyer in Australia, but he bought it as a rolling chassis. So although this would be a pretty expensive engine to duplicate new, we have this one priced somewhat lower (and are open to reasonable offers as well).

The heads are All Pro with CFE/Hutter porting.

Thank you for all the compliments in this thread - we work hard at making power here!
Well I'll be damned, it was nice of you to join for what appears to be essentially for this thread. Now I can prod you with more questions about this motor

Back to heads, Being ALL PRO castings, I assume they're a special LS7 from them with some major work done. Can you post up some pics of your alls head work?

And cam, gotta ball park figure of how that puppy was ground?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:53 PM

Well I'll be damned, it was nice of you to join for what appears to be essentially for this thread. Now I can prod you with more questions about this motor

Back to heads, Being ALL PRO castings, I assume they're a special LS7 from them with some major work done. Can you post up some pics of your alls head work?

And cam, gotta ball park figure of how that puppy was ground?
I figured I was in a good position to contribute to this thread, plus help get the word out that the engine is for sale.

The heads are All Pro LS raised port castings. The CNC port work is by CFE, with a little hand work and valve job done here. Most of our head work is done that way these days - we have port shapes that Ron has developed that are CNC machined, and then he touches up as needed (which usually isn't much, if any). I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures up, but mostly what you'd be seeing is CNC work.

The cam is 282/288 @ .050, .775 lift. It's one of our custom grinds by Comp Cams.
Old 12-13-2011, 02:09 PM
TECH Regular

I figured I was in a good position to contribute to this thread, plus help get the word out that the engine is for sale.

The heads are All Pro LS raised port castings. The CNC port work is by CFE, with a little hand work and valve job done here. Most of our head work is done that way these days - we have port shapes that Ron has developed that are CNC machined, and then he touches up as needed (which usually isn't much, if any). I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures up, but mostly what you'd be seeing is CNC work.

The cam is 282/288 @ .050, .775 lift. It's one of our custom grinds by Comp Cams.
I'm certainly happy you decided to join. That thing is totally wicked!

Once again congrats. Would you consider an offer of 1000 cash, And a 6.0L truck block, LS3 heads, and my right nut? That is everything I have to offer!
Old 12-13-2011, 04:34 PM

I'm certainly happy you decided to join. That thing is totally wicked!

Once again congrats. Would you consider an offer of 1000 cash, And a 6.0L truck block, LS3 heads, and my right nut? That is everything I have to offer!
Glad you like it - it's been a great motor for us! Even though the GTO is sold, we're certainly not done racing LS stuff and we have some new things in the works for next year.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Good to hear!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:02 PM
Teching In

Glad you like it - it's been a great motor for us! Even though the GTO is sold, we're certainly not done racing LS stuff and we have some new things in the works for next year.
Cool engine!! What did your GTO weigh?
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 PM
TECH Regular

My offer was declined :/ lol.

I think someone should go retarded and stuff this engine into one of those RCR SLC kit cars.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

WOW, I was thinking at least 20 degrees split in duration and .900 plus lift.
Old 12-14-2011, 06:18 AM

Originally Posted by RDeWild
Cool engine!! What did your GTO weigh?
It was 2100 ready to go without driver weight, so just under 2300 with me in it.
Old 12-14-2011, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Very nice. EDIT: answered my own question!

Last edited by scphilli; 12-14-2011 at 07:39 PM.

Quick Reply: Hutter Performance's 440 LSX.