Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Callies, Katech, Pro-gram billet main caps ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 04:46 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Default Callies, Katech, Pro-gram billet main caps ?

What's the difference ?

For some reason my main journal bore's are all over the place although was a previously "built" and working short block, so I need to line bore/hone/whatever to correct it.

Worst is no 5 at some 2.7 though too short on the vertical plane and 2 thou short on the horizontal ( Using 2.751"as a base measurement )
This is causing my new crank to bind when torqued up. Ive tried a few bearings and my old crankshaft. Same situation.
Although my oldest Eagle crank spins fine, it seems to have slightly smaller journals though.

Whether they're needed or not, as I need to line bore I'd like to add some billet main caps.

Katech retail at $400, Callies seem to be around $530 with the Pro-Gram around $580.

Do these come with the necessary dowels or are they extra ?

Are the others worth it over the Katech ? ( I know the stock can and do work fine...but at the minute mine are obviously mis-shaped )

Who is best to buy from at sensible postage costs to the UK ? Katech's online store quoted me $257 for postage !
TSP quoted $180 postage for their Callies. Most other retailers I found wont even quote FFS.

Despite the horrific postage costs, Katech still works out cheaper overall.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used Katechs in a previous build and they were very nice parts and they also included the dowels. I don't think Callies or ProGram uses dowels but I'm not sure. ERL also makes steel caps for LS blocks.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:36 AM
9 Second Club

Received 178 Likes on 154 Posts

Ordered the Katech's yesterday despite the postage cost. Hopefully they'll arrive on Monday or tuesday

Quick Reply: Callies, Katech, Pro-gram billet main caps ?