Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Rectangle port heads on 5.3?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You would seriously put a 245cc head,on a 5.3? Esp with 3.740 worth of valves on a 3.780 bore?...that would be totally overkill and probably run and drive like a farm tractor.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm defiantly going to go with either the 243's or the other cathedral casting that's really popular and get them CNC'd. As far as intake the ported LS2 looks like a nice budget friendly option but I'm curious about the BBK, Holey, and Professional products intakes. They aren't that expensive at all and look pretty sweet. I'm really looking to trade as much low end for top end as possible with the cam swap. The car can't come close to using all it's low end stock let alone with a big cam and heads.

Anyone got a lot of info on those intakes?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alot of people will try to sway you away from those holley/bbk and Pro Products intakes because they are cast alum and they get their girl parts in a bind about heat soak.

Honestly they are all nice pieces though. The holley and the bbk are the same piece. The Pro products is the only one to offer the port openings in an 85 and 96mm. The Holley and Pro Products offer their intakes in polished for also.

Go with what you like. Peace of mind is worth more than the most expensive intake.

What application is this going into?
Old 04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

So then would the 96 pro products be the best option for max top end power? I guess heat soak is a viable concern, but can't be a major issue or the intakes wouldn't exist as aluminum. Engineers at Holley are smarter than that.

Im thinking about just going with a used LS2 and 90mm and having both ported down the road. Now I need to figure out a better MAF and cool fuel rails that fit and I'm set there.

This is for The 2006 Impala SS pictured in my Sig. It's wrong wheel drive. It is a great highway sleeper even stockish, and handles decent after throwing some parts at it. I'm really happy with it for a daily driver but the drivetrain will come out when the trans blows soon so why not get some more power
Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redtan
True, but at 3k with 2.08/1.60 valves installed I would take an AFR 245 with 2.14/1.60 valves for $300 less.
I know, but I was just answering the OP's question. He never stated his budget.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the problem you will need to worry about first is the oil pressure sending unit that is in the way of all these intakes. The FWD LS intakes are completely special to them. You have to do some massaging on anything else, or remote mount or move your sending unit to make these other intakes work. That is step 1.

I believe the maf is good enough for now on those.

doug thorley headers would be one of the first mods I did to the LS4 engines.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by westtexasbuff
I know, but I was just answering the OP's question. He never stated his budget.
Didn't realize they were 3k though. Screw that, not worth the minimal gains over ported stock. I can get the stock heads ported for $500 with a friends and family discount. Still need all the new valve train tho. but going to be the best bang for buck from what it seems. Maybe the TFS 5.3 heads I would consider for 2k.

So now were down to TFS 5.3 vs ported 243.

What's the other GM casting that good to start with? I think they come off of the 5.3 aluminum H.O. Motors, 7 something? What's the difference in that head vs the 243? Looking for max top end power.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You are talking about the 799 heads. They are nearly identical to the 243s. Basically interchangeable. And you must mean TEA not TFS. TFS has some really really good heads, that would work well, but they are pricey yes. TEA has all sorts of combos that would be killer for you. But I think you are running a 799 head anyway or a 243, do not remember which came on the LS4. So it would be like CNCing your heads.

but for any other intake, you still have to address that oil pressure sending unit issue.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gectek
the problem you will need to worry about first is the oil pressure sending unit that is in the way of all these intakes. The FWD LS intakes are completely special to them. You have to do some massaging on anything else, or remote mount or move your sending unit to make these other intakes work. That is step 1.

I believe the maf is good enough for now on those.

doug thorley headers would be one of the first mods I did to the LS4 engines.
I'm swapping in 6t75 (GMC acadia) trans as soon as the 4t65hd fails, as it is now it doesn't shift into 2nd at WOT. the new trans has the bolt pattern of all the RWD LS blocks so Im Going to either build up a 5.3 aluminum truck block or an LS2. That takes care of the OPSU, plus katech makes an OPSU kit for us to use with these Intakes.

The DT headers are a possibility, but not 100% going to work with my new drivetrain. So I may have custom headers made when I do the rest of the exhaust. After talking to DT. I'm dealing with exhaust last, after it s all in the car.

I'd like a bigger MAF if I can get one to take advantage of the other mods.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gectek
You are talking about the 799 heads. They are nearly identical to the 243s. Basically interchangeable. And you must mean TEA not TFS. TFS has some really really good heads, that would work well, but they are pricey yes. TEA has all sorts of combos that would be killer for you. But I think you are running a 799 head anyway or a 243, do not remember which came on the LS4. So it would be like CNCing your heads.

but for any other intake, you still have to address that oil pressure sending unit issue.
Gotcha, the 243's are stock, but I'm going to sell my engine/harness/ECM as a running cutout, they go for around $3k. So I'd need to buy heads anyway. The E67 ECU is required for the 6T75 and my '06 has an E43. I can get a set of 799's for $100 right now. I'll look into TEA first though.

Thanks for all the help man.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Um, the LS4 blocks are alot diff from the rest of the LS blocks. The starter bolts to the trans IIRC and its that way for a reason. I am not sure how the LS2 block would work well in the car, but you will still have the problem of the oil sending unit being right at the back of the engine on top of the valley plate and in the way of the intake, since it is on backwards. I know katech makes a kit, but I thought it was still a problem with the intake needing to be clearanced a bit. Putting an LS2 block in the car would make the starter on the back of the engine. I am sure it will take alot of money to make all this happen.

And not sure your 4spd TCM will talk to the 6 speed trans at all. Is this something commonly done in the FWD world? I am very familiar with the v6 fwd but not so much exp 100% on the V8 stuff. I know some about them, but not all. Unless you can just swap the TCM from the 2 and hopefully the will communicate. That would be interesting.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

It hasn't been done that I know of yet because of programming, but an engineer at power train contro, solutions is putting the LS2/6T75 combo in a fiereo so I'm not worried about that. Kits to put the trans in the car and mount the starter have already been prototyped so no issue there. And the engine will fit using the LS4 crand and accessory drive, it's no different in size there. And the new trans has a built in TCM like the 6Lxx so the stocker will go away. Didn't realize about the OPSU on the RWD blocks, that's a problem to solve now for sure. Will the same kit that fixes the LS4 most likely fix the RWD blocks? I'd imagine so.

I've seen turbo vette's with intake on backwards
Old 04-11-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not sure how all that will work, but good luck. I am sure it will be an adventure. And yes, that same kit should work for the RWD blocks too since its the valley cover that houses the unit and not the block. They have that boss in the same place as the LS4 valley cover does I believe.

Quick Reply: Rectangle port heads on 5.3?