Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Trailblazer SS LSX 454 build

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailblazer SS LSX 454 build

Even though it's pretty much already done thought I would share on here since I know a lot of guys on here are running this motor or looking to run it. Car is being fine tuned and wrapped up by Tune Time Performance in Toms River NJ.

http://static.photobucket.com/player...-22-56_916.mp4

LSX 454 crate motor
11:1 Compression
LSX LS7 GMPP heads
GMPP 4150 Carb style intake converted to TBI
Aeromotive Fuel Rails
Kenne Bell BAP
FIC 60lb injectors @ 3bar
Kooks 1 7/8 Primaries - 3" Y pipe no cats
4" custom exhaust from Y pipe back
4" FWI
NW 102
LS7 MAF
Zex perimeter plate(just sold my nitrous kit though so I wouldn't be tempted to spray)
6061.com 4150 elbow
LS1 Efan conversion
Front mount trans cooler
Shiftrite Tranmissions built 4l70E
Circle D 3200 Stall

Pretty basic crate motor setup. If I had to do it again though I would have went with a LSX 427 custom setup because I limited myself with where I can go from her kinda. I'm getting the boost bug and want to boost this setup but the LSX standard deck 454 doesn't leave a whole lot of wall thickness. Some say that this motor should not be boosted at all. While I think that aiming for like 14-16psi is nuts a conservative 6-8psi will net good gains and still keep her together. The cam is the basic GMPP cam but this thing has a nasty lope and does not sound like a street car at all. This motor will kill your stealth 100% lol. Anyway I'm either gonna port the hell out of the heads and get a different cam and keep her NA or leave the motor alone and boost it haven't decided yet but I have time I still have to finish off paying for this end of the project first.

Attached Thumbnails Trailblazer SS LSX 454 build-2012-03-19_14-03-46_692.jpg   Trailblazer SS LSX 454 build-2012-03-28_15-57-58_870.jpg  

Last edited by slippi84; 04-11-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:49 PM
12 Second Club

Looks goo, I've been seeing a lot of built trailblazer SS..
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Launching!

Yeah I have a son now so this is practical and fun. Nothing like a 11 sec suv with a baby seat in the back lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I forsee this transmission not holding up. When it fails there is really only one place to go for the 4l80 conversion.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:52 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by slippi84
Yeah I have a son now so this is practical and fun. Nothing like a 11 sec suv with a baby seat in the back lol.
Yea do you have track times yet? Did I miss them lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:53 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by gectek
I forsee this transmission not holding up. When it fails there is really only one place to go for the 4l80 conversion.
RPM makes a level 7 transmission that I could use but to be honest I probably will go 4l80e just for the peace of mind. NA I should be ok for a while though. I just need it to survive long enough for me to pay of this setup and save up about 2-3k then I'll put her back under the knife for the trans and after that I'll see if I'm tired of the power or not.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:55 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RacerXLs1
Yea do you have track times yet? Did I miss them lol.
No sorry I didn't mean to crown this a 11 sec TBSS yet but given a 25% drive train loss and the 600-620hp crate motor that puts me in the 450-465awhp area which will put this thing in the 11's but no it's not there yet. God willing it will be out there once summer starts running hard.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May not last that long. A few people I know had PB 4L70s with some TVS 1900s on them on stock motor and they did not last very long.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

any chance we will some dyno charts? I've always wanted a trailblazer ss, but college has killed that dream for the past 3 years lol. awesome build man, post of times when you get them
Old 04-11-2012, 08:08 PM
Launching!

May not last that long. A few people I know had PB 4L70s with some TVS 1900s on them on stock motor and they did not last very long.
What's a PB 4l70? This trans doesn't have the 300m shafts but other than that I had Shiftrite do a lot of the same mods seen to a level 3 or 5 RPM trans I forget which one. Here's what's done to the trans

7 Borg-Warner high-energy commercial frictions used in the 3/4-clutch pack, new Kevlar Band, Corvette Servo, Sonnax Boost Valve, TransGO HD 2 Shift Correction Kit, 5 Pinion Front Planet, 5 Pinion Rear Planet, Delco Hardened Sun Shell, all new clutches, bushings, paper, metal clad seals, new pump rings, new pump vanes, new accumulator pistons. Included in this transmisson is the Sonnax TCC Regulator Valve #77754-04K

It has like 30 miles on it too so it's about as fresh as it gets. I have to break the motor in anyway so I won't be really getting on it for a little while. Shouldn't take me to long to get to the point where I'm ready to swap the trans out.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RoidedSS
any chance we will some dyno charts? I've always wanted a trailblazer ss, but college has killed that dream for the past 3 years lol. awesome build man, post of times when you get them
Not yet but when it does make a real ***** out run I will post a video and the chart. Trust me I was in your shoes. When I was younger I wanted one of these but couldn't afford one. Now that they're used and I make more money(when I actually get to keep it) I have one. Trust me it's a gift and a curse lol.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

PB is performa built.

Also the 4l70 has most of those upgrades in stock form, so you may have paid for parts the trans already had in it. Those Borg Warner high energy frictions may not last too long either. I hope they do last as long as you need though.
Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Launching!

PB is performa built.

Also the 4l70 has most of those upgrades in stock form, so you may have paid for parts the trans already had in it. Those Borg Warner high energy frictions may not last too long either. I hope they do last as long as you need though.
Yeah shiftrite and everyone else told me it had a lot of the stuff stock but I wanted a fresh unit with pretty much shift kit boost valve and new or better OEM stuff. Beating on any trans will end it sooner than later so with a conscious right foot I think I can make it atleast 2 months which is all I'll really need to be ready to take the next step and if it goes before then I'll have to do what I have to do. I thought about a th400 and rwd conversion as well that would be cheaper than both the other options and would be pretty much bullet proof with a full manual valve body. One step at a time
Old 04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No overdrive and no lockup = big compromise. Esp with a full manual valve body. Street driving gets old really quick.

The RWD conversion is one of the better things to do as the transfer cases to hold power are alot of money and the shafts get expensive too. Plus it takes alot of weight off.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:11 PM
Launching!

No overdrive and no lockup = big compromise. Esp with a full manual valve body. Street driving gets old really quick.

The RWD conversion is one of the better things to do as the transfer cases to hold power are alot of money and the shafts get expensive too. Plus it takes alot of weight off.
My tcase is actually in the process of getting replaced now but that's from something different but I know what you mean. My main concern is the output shaft as I didn't get the 300m upgrade which I will def be doing if I go with a 4l80/70e. Yeah I know like I said I thought about it never really paned out because of the overdrive issue.
Old 04-14-2012, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

Nice looking motor in the TBSS, I am pushing over 700hp to my Maximum Performance Model Finishline Trans and had it refreshed 2 weeks ago. Everything looked great in the trans. If you are in the market for a trans check them out.

I just completed a AWD to RWD conv. on my TBSS, could not believe the weight that the truck lost getting rid of the components, plus clearing out alot of much needed room to wrench. I am still waiting on my driveshaft from Inland Empire Driveline but once I get it I should be ready to fire it up and head to the track, cant wait to see what my new times are going to be shedding all that weight and AWD system power loss.....

Alot of the AWD components are no longer supported by GM and are obsolete, that along with the weight reduction convinced me to convert to RWD

Quick Reply: Trailblazer SS LSX 454 build