Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Piston rock @ BDC in LSx OEM 6 liter iron block 4 inch strokers??

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2012, 05:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Piston rock @ BDC in LSx OEM 6 liter iron block 4 inch strokers??

I want to build a 415 ci stroker out of a LSx 6 liter OEM iron block e.g. LQ4/9 or LY6, because the iron blocks are more plentiful, wicked cheap and are stronger than the aluminum LS blocks. But I have been told to be concerned about the piston rock at both BDC and TDC. Especially BDC because with the 4 inch stroke most pistons are pulled so far out of the cylinder sleeve with iron blocks which have a shorter sleeve than their aluminum block counterparts and also a shorter deck.

Who makes is best 4 inch crank rotating assembly combo for a LQ4/9 based stroker?? Or even the LY6 based stroker??

How much shorter are cylinder sleeves on the Gen III/IV iron blocks as compared to the LS2 or LS3/L92 blocks??

Can the "piston rock problem" be gotten rid of or avoided altogether with the right 4 inch crank rotating assembly combo??

This is for a daily driven '95 Caprice 9C1 with occasional autocrossing and road racing.

Thanx for your advice in advance!

Last edited by B'klyn9C1; 04-28-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just call a sponsor ----->
Get a combo within your budget that will meet the way your going to run it NA OR FI and they'll get you the right piston. Piston design has come along way. Just my .2
Old 04-29-2012, 12:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all lsx being aluminum or iron have the same deck height unless its a tall deck lsx from gmpp
Old 04-29-2012, 09:58 AM
KCS

Received 307 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by B'klyn9C1
I want to build a 415 ci stroker out of a LSx 6 liter OEM iron block e.g. LQ4/9 or LY6, because the iron blocks are more plentiful, wicked cheap and are stronger than the aluminum LS blocks. But I have been told to be concerned about the piston rock at both BDC and TDC. Especially BDC because with the 4 inch stroke most pistons are pulled so far out of the cylinder sleeve with iron blocks which have a shorter sleeve than their aluminum block counterparts and also a shorter deck.

Who makes is best 4 inch crank rotating assembly combo for a LQ4/9 based stroker?? Or even the LY6 based stroker??

How much shorter are cylinder sleeves on the Gen III/IV iron blocks as compared to the LS2 or LS3/L92 blocks??

Can the "piston rock problem" be gotten rid of or avoided altogether with the right 4 inch crank rotating assembly combo??

This is for a daily driven '95 Caprice 9C1 with occasional autocrossing and road racing.

Thanx for your advice in advance!
BDC piston rock with 4" strokes are no longer a problem in even the iron LQ4/9 engines. They were nearly a decade ago, but the piston manufacturers have long since realized the solution and rectified the problem in the piston design. Now, 4.125" stroke cranks are going into the iron blocks pretty regularly, and even 4.250" strokes are going into standard deck height sleeved blocks, however these are not exactly off the shelf kits.

Quick Reply: Piston rock @ BDC in LSx OEM 6 liter iron block 4 inch strokers??