Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

418 build-to port or not to port ls3 heads?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 418 build-to port or not to port ls3 heads?

I am building a ls3 418 tsp kit -4cc flat tops, combo adds up to 11.25:1 compression. I have already asembled the heads with patriot extreme dual valve springs ti reatiners and manley ss valves. I am now reconsidering disassembling the heads and having them cnc ported. I have talked to Richard at wcch and it looks like it will cost about $900. The car will be 90% street/10% strip. I will be running a victor jr with 1 7/8 long tubes. I will be running a 100-150 shot. I have not had a cam spec'd yet, but plan to have patrick g do it. The big question is...is it worth it to port my heads or stay stock with the current set-up. What type of gains are people seeing and would you do it over again?
Old 04-27-2012, 08:05 PM
MASS seller approved

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes with spending all that money on a shortbloc you need to use it to its potential and get TEA or WCCH to port your heads
Old 04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
Teching In

Thanks! I agree, I am just a little turned off by the 30hp gain. ~$900 for 30hp?! I talked to both tea and wcch and definetly felt more comfortable with Richard doing the work. I was thinking the n20 would make up for lack of porting which is why I initially assembled them stock. Does anyone have back to back dyno runs ported/ stock?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lakefx7
Thanks! I agree, I am just a little turned off by the 30hp gain. ~$900 for 30hp?! I talked to both tea and wcch and definetly felt more comfortable with Richard doing the work. I was thinking the n20 would make up for lack of porting which is why I initially assembled them stock. Does anyone have back to back dyno runs ported/ stock?
there are a few threads here that talk about the gains from porting,been awhile but you should be able to find them.i guess it depends on your HP goals,and what your willing to spend.IMO,a good VJ and bowl blend will net you most of the gains from porting in the majority of cases.if you want a max effort deal then of course porting is worth it.if not,i would be more concerned with just making sure the guides are up to par and the valves seal.you might be suprised at how much the OEM VJ job is lacking as far as concentricity goes.remember,the L92s are mass produced and never intended to be used in a high performance application.

Quick Reply: 418 build-to port or not to port ls3 heads?