Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Block prep for dry sump??

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Block prep for dry sump??

I have a Katech value 427 longblock - Cola crank NOT an LS7 snout. This is for a C5 used in roadcourse events.

I want to use the Dailey 3 stage dry sump setup -> http://www.daileyengineering.com/ls_...side_mount.htm

What block prep needs to be done to in order to use the external Dailey pressure pump??? Any and all help is appreciated?

Thanks!!
joel

Last edited by Bink; 05-11-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-11-2012, 10:09 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dailey should be able to help you, that is an EXPENSIVE set-up ARE also makes a LS dry sump package. I would think that tapping into the main oil galley in the front on the drivers side would be the only preperation required to get your external pump feed into the oiling system. If the block is completley disassembled, I would look at touching up the oil passages where they turn down to the oil pan/filter area where the "dog bone" resides near the back of the drivers side of the motor. I just did some "porting" of my LS3 block passages after seeing the poor interfaces the GM has in these areas.
For anyone using a factory oil pump, besides reworking the oil pump housing, the block feed at the front of the motor has 2 restrictive 90 degree bends that can use some touch up, and the oil pan area where the filter mounts is BAD! a few minutes spent with a grinder will make 6000+RPM bearing life much improved.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Bink
I have a Katech value 427 longblock - Cola crank NOT an LS7 snout. This is for a C5 used in roadcourse events.

I want to use the Dailey 3 stage dry sump setup -> http://www.daileyengineering.com/ls_...side_mount.htm

What block prep needs to be done to in order to use the external Dailey pressure pump??? Any and all help is appreciated?

Thanks!!
joel
You will need to remove your oil dip stick housing, tap the hole, and install a pipe plug. You will check you oil level on your dry sump tank. The dip stick would be a leak as the dry sump scavenge pump tries to create a vacuum in your oil pan.

Talk you your dry-sump system supplier and see if there are other preparation items that they recommend.

Good luck.

-
Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a barely used Dailey system if you're interested.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Katech_Jason
I have a barely used Dailey system if you're interested.
Very, I'll call.

Quick Reply: Block prep for dry sump??