Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

ls3 engine advice needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 11:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls3 engine advice needed

Hi my name is dan and im new here at ls1 tech... im on other site but they are just chalked full of vendors.. if ur not asking what intake exhaust or if u need to tune w LTs u wont get any help.. so heres my problem im hoping somone can help...

over winter i buiilt the top end of my LS3 i did the nite fury cam kit double roller comp set ported and milled heads, arp head studs full ehaust comp 850 lifters the trunnion upgrade to the stock rockers all in all i was looking for 500 rwhp .. so anyways all went well til the fire up. ran great for about a min then started back firing and the drivers side header gets extremely hot in seconds.. ive been battling this problem for some time... lemme tell u alittle about the motor i do have the comp cam timing set w the stock cover do u think that is causing an issue??? the car fires rite up goes into the high idle and as soon as it comes down to lope it starts backfiring thats when i shut it off.. has anyone had this problem oir can send me in the rite direction...

sorrry for the long post but im beyond baffled with this issue and its really putting a damper on summer lol.. i thought maybe the cam sensor was messing up but the car literally fires rite up w one crank just the driver side headers gets super hot extemely fast and the pass side stays cool to the touch...

any help would be greatly appreciated its suppose to go to a local shop to get fixed june 4th but im trying to figure it out to save alot of money

i forgot fast 102 intake w ported stock tb for now with the v ring added to close the step down
Old 05-22-2012, 02:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm assuming you had it tuned after the cam install? If not, start there.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:59 AM
On The Tree

Why does the one side not fire up the question should be. With a noid tester check for signal from pcm. No noid carefully check for power to one of the injectors on that side key on engine off. Then have someone fire up motor and check ground lightly flashing a test light on other lead of injector.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:32 AM
Banned

A bit of a hard one but did you remember to connect the loom earth at the back of the drivers side head. Sounds like the injectors or plugs arent working. You could pull a spark plug out and start it with the plug grounded to check for spark on the side that is cold.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 AM
On The Tree

Like ls2 said go for basic stuff. Find out what's missing let us know what you find if still baffled tell us vehicle details and we might be able to help.
Old 05-22-2012, 10:00 AM

Car is tuned anyone knowledgable around the Cleveland Ohio area maybe can take a peek at it ill pay you tor ur time
Old 05-22-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That's indicative of a real lean condition. Like was mentioned before check your injector harness and all your grounds.
Old 05-22-2012, 05:10 PM

I believe i have all the grounds in place is there anyone that has a diagram or pictures of all their locations???
Old 05-22-2012, 08:51 PM

I even asked my tuner if i datalog it and send him the files of like a 10sec idle log if he could see.all he told me was what exactly do u want me to look at??? I wanted to say umm well everything i cant see and thats what the ecu and pcm is seeing

Quick Reply: ls3 engine advice needed