Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LY6 pistons and boost

Old 06-05-2012, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LY6 pistons and boost

Posted this in FI section but since its gen 4 specific.....

I picked up a stock LY6 short block (iron 6.0 with dished pistons). I am doing a turbo with stock bottom end build. I read in a thread on here where some one was saying the LY6 stock pistons arent as strong as the LQ4 pistons because the LQ4's dont have the two valve relieve notches like the LY6's have. Basically that the valve notches make the pistons weaker (thinner in this area I am assuming).

Anyone have any knowledge of whether or not this is true?

BTW: I am not looking at running 10lbs of boost. I am more looking to push stock internals to their limit (or just shy of preferably)

TIA: Jason
Old 06-06-2012, 01:42 PM
Teching In

I will be doing the same thing you are with the same setup. As long as you have a very good tune i dont think there is a difference. I think with a great tune and low intake air temps you should be to make 800rwhp+ with ls9 gaskets and arp headstuds.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

I will be running Fast XFI and a pair of Precision (PTE) liquid to air intercoolers. If I remember correctly my IC's are rated for 750 hp each. The last turbo car I ran at the track was ran at 28 to 30 psi and I would get condensation on my up pipe to my throttle body. Hardcore intercooling makes power AND you are safer / less likely to break or blow something in the short block.
Old 06-07-2012, 03:29 PM
On The Tree

Zummo:

One more thing. I am looking for feed back from been there done that guys. You stated that you are building one now. The numbers you posted are they from researching on here or just your guess / opinion? This isnt a bash I am just asking because I wasnt having much luck researching this myself. The LQ4's are older, easier to find, cheaper, been around longer ect. There arent tons of people turning the wick up on stock short block 6.0's and when I find one they are gen 3 LQ4's and not gen 4 LY6's.

If you happen to have any links ect I would appreciate it

BTW what are you going to be running for FI and what IC set up?
Old 06-07-2012, 06:59 PM
Teching In

99% of the 6.0 i have seen have been gen 3. I have followed a thread closely that is using a bone stock ly6 and they are at 875rwhp. I was just saying gasket and studs for more insurance to get to that higher level with fewer problems. The type of fuel being used has alot to do with the engine living at that level. I dont think ly6's are being used just because they are newer and bring more money than lq4's. I believe air to (ice) water to be a big key along with the tune.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LY6 pistons and boost