Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

timing chain issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 08:42 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing chain issues

I just got my 408 short block back from the machine shop and started putting it together and started having an issue with the cam gear. The motor turns freely before instaling the timing set but after I install the timing set and torque it to spec the motor will not turn over. (I have the comp double roller set) Just wondering if anyone else has had a simular issue, and what you did to correct it, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
Teching In

I think have come to the conclusion that one of two things are happening, 1)the inside shoulder of the cam gear where the torrington bearing sits is rubing on the cam retaining plate or 2)the cam is sucked up against the back of the retaining plate not allowing it to turn.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't remember exactly, but there was a thread a year or so back about certain bolts being too long and causing interference when tightened, if the correct bolts were mistakenly used somewhere else... Have you tried just the gear w/o the chain? Or turning the cam with just the retainer plate installed?
Old 08-23-2012, 11:40 PM
Teching In

I have thought of the head of the stock bolts on the retaining plate sticking out too far and rubing the back of the cam gear but there are no marks on the back of the gear and I can see through the holes on the cam hear and can see that the bolts are not touching close but not touching. Yes sir I have tried without the chain and the cam will not turn.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just the bare cam without lifters and pushrods? Can you turn the cam without the retainer plate? If so, it would have to be something in the retainer plate area. If not, the cam bearings...
Old 08-25-2012, 06:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr slow
I have thought of the head of the stock bolts on the retaining plate sticking out too far and rubing the back of the cam gear but there are no marks on the back of the gear and I can see through the holes on the cam hear and can see that the bolts are not touching close but not touching. Yes sir I have tried without the chain and the cam will not turn.
I had a 416 built and my engine builder had tried to use clevite cam bearings and the cam would seize up trying to go in. I swapped in durabond cam bearings and it slipped in like butter.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to be sure, you might wannt to get the new style retainer plate. It uses flat head bolts, that come with the plate.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:20 AM
Restricted User

http://www.progearweb.com/4000/pg4210.htm
Old 08-25-2012, 08:28 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by willyfastz
^^^ What is that supposed to do. His cam is seizing up, nothing is wrong with the timing chain itself.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:08 AM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
^^^ What is that supposed to do. His cam is seizing up, nothing is wrong with the timing chain itself.
My bad I read all but the last sentence. Looks like cam bearings.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by 87silverbullet
I also read his first two post and he thought it was something with the dual roller timing set.
Old 08-25-2012, 07:43 PM
Restricted User

Pull the cam out, then start putting it back it. Turn it each time it goes in a cam bearing. You should be able to tell which bearing is bad when you get to the one that doesn't allow it to turn freely anymore.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:05 PM
Teching In

Sorry guys I have been working my a** off, thanks for the help. I didn't have any issues putting the cam in and then after the cam is in it has no problem turning freely, only until I tighten down the cam gear to the cam and then the cam will it not turn, is there any difference between retaining plates from different year motors?
Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM
Teching In

Its prolly just operator error lol
Old 09-18-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry guys I have been working my a** off, thanks for the help. I didn't have any issues putting the cam in and then after the cam is in it has no problem turning freely, only until I tighten down the cam gear to the cam and then the cam will it not turn, is there any difference between retaining plates from different year motors?
the older retaining plates used non counter sunk bolts, the new retaining plates are countersunk and use countersunk bolts.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

If the cam is in and turns freely and smoothly without the chain installed then the cam bearings aren't the problem. I would say you have the wrong retainer plate and cam gear setup. If it does not turn freely with the cam gear and retainer installed and the chain off the gear then there is simply something not right with your cam gear and retainer.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:36 PM
Teching In

Yes I have narrowed it down to the cam gear and the retaining plate, nothing is wrong with the cam bearings, I was worried about the bearing on the back of the cam gear getting in a bind against the retaining plate not allowing it to move. I was just seeing if anyone had a simular issue, I will have to tryusing a retaining plate from a newer motor with countersuck bolts, because right now I'm using a plate from a 5.3 I had laying around.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:04 PM
Teching In

I figured it out, thanks for all your help guys
Old 09-19-2012, 09:13 PM
Launching!

I have had this issue mine turned out the cam gear was milled to deep. I have had this more than once.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:28 AM
On The Tree

Good job, what was the solution? different cam gear? retainer plate?

Quick Reply: timing chain issues