Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Machining Question?

Old 09-10-2012, 08:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Machining Question?

I see all this talk about flycutting on here and was wondering why not just turn the face down on a lathe? As an ex-machinist i always had better results with turning round parts rather than flycutting. Does finish have something to do with it or are they usually ground smooth after? And what finish number is required? I'm curious because I'm looking at putting L92s or LS3s on my LS2 and I have been reading about some PTV clearance with big cams on these heads. I have access to both a bridgeport and a lathe (even an old shaper which gives a great finish) and may end up having to do this...Thanks in advance to anyone with some input!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The entire piston top? You lose strength, compression and quench cutting the entire piston top instead of just fly cutting valve reliefs..
Old 09-10-2012, 09:12 PM
On The Tree

Ok that's what i wasn't understanding. So you just fly cut reliefs and not the entire top to shorten the piston? I don't know where so don't ask, but I saw a video of someone flycutting a piston and took off the entire top so that's what confused me...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lol no. Flycutting is only putting valve reliefs into the piston. They make a tool for it already. Its called a Isky racing piston notcher I believe
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony.fatica
Ok that's what i wasn't understanding. So you just fly cut reliefs and not the entire top to shorten the piston? I don't know where so don't ask, but I saw a video of someone flycutting a piston and took off the entire top so that's what confused me...

We only face the top of the piston in the lathe in order to reduce compression height in custom applications, for valve reliefs we mount the pistons in a special vise and cut the valve reliefs with indexable flycutter. Sometimes we use the CNC to cut special dishes or reverse domes in the crown as well.
Old 09-11-2012, 12:11 AM
12 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Agreed, if you try to take enough of the top of the piston, your going to seriously thin out the crown. Also, you will lose probably .100 or more on compression height. A piston .100 in the hole will create a turd for an engine
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the clarification. I doubt with this build I am going to cam it that big that I need to do so, but for future builds I may or may not start getting into that. As crazy as it sounds because building an engine is a headache in its own, it's still my stress relief learning about different builds and I want to get a little deeper into things in the future. Thanks again guys! Appreciate the input!
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anthony.fatica
Thanks for all the clarification. I doubt with this build I am going to cam it that big that I need to do so, but for future builds I may or may not start getting into that. As crazy as it sounds because building an engine is a headache in its own, it's still my stress relief learning about different builds and I want to get a little deeper into things in the future. Thanks again guys! Appreciate the input!
if you are wanting to use LS3 style heads on a 6.0 engine a good "general" number for cams to stay under is 234 on the intake duration, and using stock rockers I wouldnt push past .630 lift.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:47 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tainted
if you are wanting to use LS3 style heads on a 6.0 engine a good "general" number for cams to stay under is 234 on the intake duration, and using stock rockers I wouldnt push past .630 lift.
Ya, I did some reading around over the weekend and it seems like TSP really has it figured out with their 231/236, .641"/.615", 112 LSA as being the largest that will work with their ported heads so I was thinking right in the region of what you said...

Edit: Meaning not as big as their biggest for these heads, I was a little unclear on that

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Machining Question?