Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Valve springs for TSP 231/236 cam

Old 10-04-2012, 03:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Valve springs for TSP 231/236 cam

Trying to decide on springs for a 231/236 - 641/615 cam. I know that TSP recommends the PRC EHT .675 springs, but I'm curious if anyone has had success with the Patriot Performance Xtreme spring, rated to .660.

Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

This is for a stock headed LS3 2010 Camaro, btw
Old 10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

Use the EHT spring or one of Tooley's springs.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:26 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are running the hollow-stem LS3 valves in the heads, our PRC .650" lift spring kit will do fine. But with the solid valve combo (L99, L92, etc) then I'd still recommend the .675" lift kit to add a bit of pressure for control!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:08 PM
FormerVendor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We're having great success with our Platinum springs on LS3 heads using stock rockers. I have customers with single plane intakes turning 7500 rpm with these springs on LS3 heads.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html

Whatever you buy make sure the open spring pressure is under 400 lbs or you can damage your valve tips long term.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:04 PM
LS1TECH & Trucks Sponsor

We have used springs with over 400 lbs of spring pressure open for years with out issues on tips. We have also spintron tested all of our spring packages. We currently have our EHT springs on our engine dyno with our 231/236 cam working great.

Everyone hated those springs when patriot sold them, I don't know what has changed that makes them so much better? We saw countless people have issues with them losing spring height over time.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
We have used springs with over 400 lbs of spring pressure open for years with out issues on tips. We have also spintron tested all of our spring packages. We currently have our EHT springs on our engine dyno with our 231/236 cam working great.

Everyone hated those springs when patriot sold them, I don't know what has changed that makes them so much better? We saw countless people have issues with them losing spring height over time.
Ok, you lost me a bit...just to be clear, you're saying everyone hated the EHT springs when Patriot sold them...But something has changed with them since PRC began to sell them in order to help retain spring height?? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Brian Tooley
We're having great success with our Platinum springs on LS3 heads using stock rockers. I have customers with single plane intakes turning 7500 rpm with these springs on LS3 heads.

http://www.briantooleyracing.com/660...retainers.html

Whatever you buy make sure the open spring pressure is under 400 lbs or you can damage your valve tips long term.
Thanks for the info Brian. So no worries about valve float with less than 400 lbs of pressure? Of course I'd only be running 6800-6900 rpms max.
Old 10-04-2012, 08:04 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JohnJanz@Texas-Speed
I've seen numerous springs with 450 lbs of open pressure chew up valve tips, as often as I see it, I find it curious why you guys haven't seen it also?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:13 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Ebbsnflows
Thanks for the info Brian. So no worries about valve float with less than 400 lbs of pressure? Of course I'd only be running 6800-6900 rpms max.
My Platinum springs have around 155 lbs on the seat which is very good seat pressure to prevent valve bounce. With your light intake valves and stock rockers 400 lbs is all the open pressure you need.

Valve loft over the nose of the cam becomes more prevalent with heavy valves and heavy roller rockers, which is when I recommend my Max Pressure springs which are 450 lbs open.

Here's a video the the Holley LS Fest True Street winner going through the traps at 7300 RPM with his LS3 intake valves, stock rockers and Platinum springs.
http://youtu.be/23mFGUQHLDY

Last edited by Brian Tooley Racing; 10-05-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok, you lost me a bit...just to be clear, you're saying everyone hated the EHT springs when Patriot sold them...But something has changed with them since PRC began to sell them in order to help retain spring height?? Just want to make sure I'm understanding.
Patriot never sold EHT springs. PRC is the only company that has sold the EHT springs.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:18 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
If you are running the hollow-stem LS3 valves in the heads, our PRC .650" lift spring kit will do fine. But with the solid valve combo (L99, L92, etc) then I'd still recommend the .675" lift kit to add a bit of pressure for control!
Originally Posted by Brian Tooley

Valve loft over the nose of the cam becomes more prevalent with heavy valves and heavy roller rockers, which is when I recommend my Max Pressure springs which are 450 lbs open.
Yes sir, agreed. We still don't know which valve the OP is running though, unless I missed a post here

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 10-05-2012, 10:41 AM
FormerVendor

Yes sir, agreed. We still don't know which valve the OP is running though, unless I missed a post here
I was going off what he said in his first post.

This is for a stock headed LS3 2010 Camaro, btw
Old 10-05-2012, 10:43 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Ahh true true. Then our .650" lift kit would be perfect

Old 10-05-2012, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ahh true true. Then our .650" lift kit would be perfect
So a .650 spring will be reliable with .644 lift? That seems like a very small margin of tolerance. Obviously I trust the advice of the experts, However I just don't want to walk the razor's edge with only a .006" separating me between reliability and failure.

On the same token, I don't wanna go overkill either and cause spring bind or other harmonic issues.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:57 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Yes, at .641" lift, and assuming 1.800" installed height, you'll still be .079" from coil bind! Assuming a 1.780" installed height, you're still .059" from coil bind, just with a bit more pressure for control. I would not hesitate to run the .650" lift kit so long as you have the hollow stem intake valves (true LS3's do).

Old 10-06-2012, 10:54 AM
9 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 for Brian Tooley's springs! I've been using them in quite a few builds and the attension to detail is second to NONE! Spring locators that are actually setup for the spring and locate correctly and the use of OEM GM locks to promote valve rotation to help with valve tip wear and save retainer/lock weight vs the super 7's alot of other kits use.

When you see his kit's you'll not think twice about any other spring kit for a hydraulic LSx engine!
Old 10-07-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The only spring kit on the market using super 7 locks is Patriot. PRC uses OEM locks. I don't think the valve lock matters on rotation. I wouldn't use a super 7 lock because the retainer/lock combo is very heavy.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW: I'm very fond of the PAC 1521 spings. I've run them on the 403 and now the same set on the 427. They have about 15k miles on them and still spec very close to new. I ran them for a long time with a cam with .660 lift. They are nitrited for long life. Great spring!
Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I don't think the valve lock matters on rotation.
You can tell the difference in how easy the valve is allowed to rotate with the stock locks versus machine locks by simple holding a valve in one hand, while pulling on the retainers and locks with the other hand and twisting.

We found the valve tips with the stock locks fared better during the durability testing versus the machined locks. It works much like how flat tappet lifters must spin in the lifter bore on a camshaft. If they don't rotate, they wipe out fast.

Of course open spring pressure had FAR more influence on valve tip durability than valve rotation, but it goes hand in hand.

Originally Posted by TVWilkes
I wouldn't use a super 7 lock because the retainer/lock combo is very heavy.
Amen!
Old 10-07-2012, 06:28 PM
TECH Resident

ce you guys are talking springs how good are the manley nextek springs?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Valve springs for TSP 231/236 cam