Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

VVT tuning with compcams limiter

Old 10-05-2012, 06:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default VVT tuning with compcams limiter

I have my swap tagged and on the road now tuning.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...-t56-swap.html

I noticed that the E38 PCM is commanding cam phasing according to
The tables, but the actual cam won't advance more than 7deg. (which is
Actually 0deg since the VVT-2 cam is 7deg retarded installed). I do have
The compcams limiter that's the correct version for my 2010 cam/phaser
Combo that suppose to have 22deg of advance.

I'm using the single spring PAC1518s and I have 30#+ of oil pressure
With a melling 10296 pump.

VVT tuning with compcams limiter-vvt_des_vs_scan.jpg

Has anyone scanned their VVT engine with the limiter to see what
Cam advance they are commanding & recording?

Last edited by 85MikeTPI; 10-05-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:28 PM
TECH Addict

Anyone have a datalog of their VVT cam phasing correctly with a CompCams limiter kit installed?

I'm running break-in oil currently, though I don't see how the oil choice would limit the cam in this manner..
Old 10-08-2012, 09:27 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

You just made my head hurt. Have you posted at HP? Have you logged throttle to see if its opening and staying open? What are your phase tables commanding? What have you done with VVT spark? Is there any KR?
Old 10-09-2012, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
You just made my head hurt. Have you posted at HP? Have you logged throttle to see if its opening and staying open? What are your phase tables commanding? What have you done with VVT spark? Is there any KR?
Why? Did you see my screenshot that I have logged everything? I'm asking if anyone has gotten more than 7deg cam retard with a comp limiter kit and apparently no one has scanned a VVT motor. I haven't posted on HP as Im trying to gather data to find out where the anomaly is.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

You verified your actuator travel with the limiter in place, so it seems you should be able to get the full range out of it. Maybe the "0" position reported by the ECM is already actuated with some retard?
Old 10-09-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

http://www.hptuners.com/forum/showth...&highlight=VVT

http://www.hptuners.com/Forum/showthread.php?t=17883

Filtering through all the noise in these posts, it seems that the HPT tables and scanner are in Crankshaft degrees instead of Camshaft degrees. That would imply that my 7deg reported on the scanner is actually 14deg of cam rotation. While it makes sense in that 14deg is closer to the phaser reported 22deg range, it doesn't make sense that HPT labels the PID "Intake Cam Desired Angle" and "Intake Cam Angle".

I'd still love to get another VVT owner with the limiter block to post a scan showing maximum cam rotation reported.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:18 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I'd still love to get another VVT owner with the limiter block to post a scan showing maximum cam rotation reported.
My car is torn apart again right now but I will do this ^ when i get it up and running again. Its nice to see that the values your logging are not actual degrees. Lots of things are like that in these ECM's though. I suppose HP or someone could create new definition files or whatever to translate these values respectively, but its also one of those things that once you know of, dont mind so much.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM
TECH Addict

Any luck with this Mike? Have you tried contacting TSP or perhaps new era?
Old 10-16-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Any luck with this Mike? Have you tried contacting TSP or perhaps new era?
No, I really wanted some confirmation before going further.

I actually loaded the TSP tune for the VVT2 cam and it limits the cam to 6deg or less retard from base in all the areas I've had the motor anyway...
Old 10-18-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI
The tables, but the actual cam won't advance more than 7deg. (which is
Actually 0deg since the VVT-2 cam is 7deg retarded installed).
This confused the heck out of me when I read it and I'm still confused. I thought the sprung position of your phaser is 7 deg advanced and the numbers in the VVT tables are degrees of retard from that position. Your statement seems to be the reverse.

Also these numbers are in camshaft degrees, not crankshaft degrees so beware - they should be doubled to represent crankshaft degrees. Here is some info I came across in this thread. I wish this had the phaser P/Ns. It seems to indicate 3 different phaser configurations, so i am really confused now.

For the Gen IV small block engines, the park position for the CMP actuator and camshaft is, 8.5 degrees before top dead center (BTDC), which is equal to 17 crankshaft degrees BTDC, to the next cylinder in firing order. The engine control module (ECM) can only command the CMP actuator to retard the valve timing from the park position, or advance the valve timing back to the park position. The total range of valve timing authority is 31 degrees of camshaft rotation, which is equal to 62 degrees of crankshaft rotation. The control range is from the park position of 8.5 degrees camshaft, or 17 degrees of crankshaft BTDC, to 22.5 degrees camshaft, or 45 degrees crankshaft, after top dead center (ATDC).

The 6.0L L76, 6.2L L92, and 6.0L LY6, light duty application, CMP actuator has a 62 degree range of authority. With the engine not running and no engine oil pressure to the CMP actuator, the high tension spring positions camshaft timing at the 17 degree advanced park position. During normal engine operation and based on performance requirements, the ECM may adjust camshaft timing, as required, within a range from 17 degrees advanced to 45 degrees retard.

The 6.0L LY6, heavy duty application, CMP actuator has a 52 degree range of authority. With the engine not running and no engine oil pressure to the CMP actuator, the high tension spring positions camshaft timing at the 7 degree advanced park position. During normal engine operation, and based on performance requirements, the ECM may adjust camshaft timing, as required, within a range from 7 degrees advanced to 45 degrees retard.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Addict

You're correct, I always reverse advance/retard when I talk VVT because it seems backward to me. My cam is 7 deg advanced base (0 in the PCM table) and will only retard 7 deg when the PCM is commanding 20 or more via the stock L92 tune.

So you're saying the PCM tables are in camshaft deg? Thats what I thought but that makes the limiter really limit in my case..
Old 10-18-2012, 04:45 PM
TECH Addict

From what I have come across so far, I believe the PCM tables reported by HPT are in camshaft degrees, but I am not 100% positive. The physical phaser travels listed above are in camshaft degrees.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Has anyone scanned their VVT engine with the limiter to see what
Cam advance they are commanding & recording?
I had forgotten, but check this out:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/15889632-post75.html

There are other good tidbits of info in that thread if you sort through it, but it got a little too theoretical after a while for me to stay interested.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...vt-delete.html
Old 11-01-2012, 12:38 PM
TECH Addict

Anything new on the commanded vs. actual cam phasing?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
cam
TECH Junkie

I'm using the single spring PAC1518s and I have 30#+ of oil pressure
With a melling 10296 pump.
Never noticed this earlier. My stock 07 Escy GM pump runs 60 psi at idle and over 90 psi and high RPM. Mine runs flawlessly.

Wonder if the melling pump doesnt supply enough pressure for the VVT phaser?
Old 11-01-2012, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by -TheBandit-
Anything new on the commanded vs. actual cam phasing?
Nothing except our exchange of ideas that both tune and scanner are in cam degrees, and my phaser limiter block may be slightly more restrictive, being in one of the 4 vane areas that are different than shown on the instruction sheet.

Not sure if you could check that theory at all with your test phaser? Degree the cam with the block in the pictured location, then again with the block in one of the other vane locations and see if there's a difference?

According to the CompCams instructions, I should have 22 crank degrees of rotation, or 11 cam degrees of rotation. I'm only seeing 7 cam degrees of rotation.

I haven't been able to do further testing because of the weather..
Old 11-01-2012, 02:39 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
Never noticed this earlier. My stock 07 Escy GM pump runs 60 psi at idle and over 90 psi and high RPM. Mine runs flawlessly.

Wonder if the melling pump doesnt supply enough pressure for the VVT phaser?
Is that ECM measured oil pressure, or gauge? I finally got my analog gauge hooked up and it also reads 45psi idle and 85psi high RPM (measured off the oil filter/cooler port) and the ECM is only measuring 25 to 50psi over the same range.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by cam
My car is torn apart again right now but I will do this ^ when i get it up and running again. Its nice to see that the values your logging are not actual degrees. Lots of things are like that in these ECM's though. I suppose HP or someone could create new definition files or whatever to translate these values respectively, but its also one of those things that once you know of, dont mind so much.
Does this mean your car is back running again?

Another oddity I've noticed is I started logging "Intake Cam DC" which I take to mean the (D)uty-(C)ycle of the VVT solenoid for the PCM to control oil to the phaser.

The DC goes up to about 40% during a 6-7deg retard request which the cam follows, and 50% during a 8deg retard request which the cam stays at 7deg. But other times the DC sits at 35-38%, when the request is for 0deg retard.. It does go to 0% sometimes, but nothing in between 0-35% and nothing over 50% on the TSP limited retard tune.
Old 11-01-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Addict

Nothing except our exchange of ideas that both tune and scanner are in cam degrees, and my phaser limiter block may be slightly more restrictive, being in one of the 4 vane areas that are different than shown on the instruction sheet.

Not sure if you could check that theory at all with your test phaser? Degree the cam with the block in the pictured location, then again with the block in one of the other vane locations and see if there's a difference?

According to the CompCams instructions, I should have 22 crank degrees of rotation, or 11 cam degrees of rotation. I'm only seeing 7 cam degrees of rotation.

I haven't been able to do further testing because of the weather..
I'm sorry I haven't been able to check for you yet, but plan to. I will try just measuring the phaser on the workbench first. I still think where you have your limiter block would actually increase travel, but I'll have to look. For those that are watching, what we're talking about is between which vanes the Comp phaser limiter block is installed. See this thread, around post 68: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...g-vvt-cam.html

Do you know how the ECU determines the "0" position? Does it just determine that at startup while the phaser is in the advanced position?
Old 11-01-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Addict

The DC goes up to about 40% during a 6-7deg retard request which the cam follows, and 50% during a 8deg retard request which the cam stays at 7deg. But other times the DC sits at 35-38%, when the request is for 0deg retard.. It does go to 0% sometimes, but nothing in between 0-35% and nothing over 50% on the TSP limited retard tune.
My guess is around 35% is the minimum to start overcoming the spring return on the solenoid. It may switch from 0 to 35 in anticipation of retarding as the speed goes up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VVT tuning with compcams limiter