Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

computer & wiring help for ls3

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2012, 01:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default computer & wiring help for ls3

hi i am new to the site and to the ls world and need some help i have a ls3 6.2 liter and i want to put it in my 88 fox body but i have no wiring harness or computer any help or suggestions on what to use or get would be greatly helpful thanks
Old 10-31-2012, 04:51 AM
TECH Regular

Welcome to the site. You would probably have better luck looking around in here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-hybrids-28/
There are tons of Gen3 and Gen 4 in to Fox swaps running in there. In the simplest terms you are going to need a harness and computer for your application. You can buy the harness pre-maid with very simple hookups, or your can choose to take a stock harness and rework it yourself to your needs. If you have no need for VVT, AFM or any of the other features introduced on later engines, I would suggest sticking with the GEN 3 based PCM and harness as they are super easy to get going and much less expensive to buy and tune. You can get a reman PCM for $100 all day long on ebay or the classifieds. You could also consider an aftermarket stand alone like the Holley Dominator or Big Stuff 3 depending on your goals. Good Luck.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:23 AM
Teching In

Thank you so much for the info I know I'm not in the right section as you pointed out but one more question to help me get started what type computer would be best to go with as far as stock pcms and would it be better to stay with the drive by wire or go with the manual throttle cable the motor is out of some type of truck if that matters and I do plain on a stroker kit and a turbo in the future
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 AM
TECH Regular

The option is yours. I went Cable throttle body on my LS2 setup, for two reasons. 1. It means I can use the 411 PCM which is from the 99-02 Camaro/TA and has the widest possible tuning support and options, and 2 is that with DBW you can not adjust the PCM tables to change the opening rate of the throttle blade relative to foot position on the throttle. I made that decision based on feedback from folks here on the forum who had driven both and had felt there was a small lag in the DBW throttle bodied cars. O owned a C6 Vette for a while and I didn't notice it to be honest, but it was bone stock at the time. In order to run cable, you will have to procure a cable mount. Scoggin-Dickey has a nice billet one, that bolts to the top of the intake, and SLP has one made of steel. You could probably fab your own if you were handy. If you want to run a DBW setup and still stick with a Gen 3 PCM, I would look at the GEN 3 truck computers, that have the necessary hardware to facilitate that.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:54 AM
Teching In

Thanks again for the info I know there are some differences in the ls1 and the ls3 what will I need to do to prep the ls3 to run the 99-02 camaro comp and harness thanks again for the info
Old 10-31-2012, 08:00 AM
TECH Regular

One other small note, if you are having a harness made or modified for a GEN 3 computer, be sure to have the cam sensor wires lengthened, as well as the knock sensors (if you plan to run them), otherwise you will need to purchase extension harnesses, in addition to the main harness. I have had a couple of harnesses built from scratch and this was a no charge option when I had it done. Just tell whomever you are having do the harness what you are attempting to accomplish and they should be able to get you set up.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:40 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you need one made, give us a ring, we can help you get set up with one custom made for your application and any other extras you may need.
POWERBOND - ASP - PRECISION INDUSTRIES - YANK - CIRCLE D - AND MORE!
NEW NUMBER (512)863-0900

Quick Reply: computer & wiring help for ls3