Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Piston Vendor Comparison?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 08:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piston Vendor Comparison?

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone knows of a comparison between the various different piston vendors, such as:
  • CP
  • JE
  • Wiseco
  • Arias
  • Diamond
  • Etc.

I'm building a twin turbo 427CI LSx.

CID Bore Stroke Rod Lgth. Block Ht.
427 4.125 4.000 6.125 9.240"

I am favoring JE based on what I've been reading, but would like to hear others experiences.

Thanks,

-- Joe
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 PM
Banned

How much boost are you going to throw at it? Race or street?

I'm partial to Wiseco, they have a great LS piston selection which are well deburred, come with coated skirts and an excellent ring pack...and I get great pricing on them.

I use plenty of JE custom pistons for our road race and modified motors, no issues there. Same goes for Diamond, have used many of their pistons as well. I have used CP pistons for import and exotic applications. Really I think you cannot do wrong with any of those manufacturers and unless you're looking for a custom deal I would pick the shelf piston that best fits your needs no matter which of those companies it comes from. Arias is the only one that I don't use because I have had issues with their engineering in the past.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:55 PM
Teching In

I am looking at 39.75 PSI boost in racing trim and 13.75 PSI in street trim.

I know Kauffman runs 35-40psi and they are using Ross dished. NRE does 36psi on JE pistons. Butler runs Ross, again the same boost range.

I'm planning on running a set of Olivers (0.990" pin) with a Bryant CCW crank.

Thoughts?

-- Joe
Old 11-19-2012, 11:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by out2kayak
I am looking at 39.75 PSI boost in racing trim and 13.75 PSI in street trim.

I know Kauffman runs 35-40psi and they are using Ross dished. NRE does 36psi on JE pistons. Butler runs Ross, again the same boost range.

I'm planning on running a set of Olivers (0.990" pin) with a Bryant CCW crank.

Thoughts?

-- Joe
My honest opinion is that you should stick with a standard 3.625" stroke to get some skirt length into the piston considering how much boost you're throwing at it. With a 4.125" bore you'll be at 388 cubic inches and you'll have much better piston stability and life.

Either way, Wiseco can handle building a piston to suit your needs. Diamond would be my second choice simply because I have used them in high boost applications before with no issues.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by machinistone
My honest opinion is that you should stick with a standard 3.625" stroke to get some skirt length into the piston considering how much boost you're throwing at it. With a 4.125" bore you'll be at 388 cubic inches and you'll have much better piston stability and life.

Either way, Wiseco can handle building a piston to suit your needs. Diamond would be my second choice simply because I have used them in high boost applications before with no issues.
Thanks!

-- Joe

Quick Reply: Piston Vendor Comparison?