Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

cam and heads install

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 06:18 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam and heads install

hey guys im getting ready to start buyin parts for my spring project need to know what all i am going to need from some of you guys with some experience. im looking to do an ms3 or ms4 cam with 243 heads. im just not sure what else i need so please help any advice is helpful.
do i need a better oil pump, injectors, pushrods, stall? if so, any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here's a parts list for the heads & cam portion of my build. some of the stuff is for the truck setup, but most will be relevant for all LS engines.

sorry for the small font, I haven't figured out how to make the IMG file bigger.

Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by 99JoeT/A
hey guys im getting ready to start buyin parts for my spring project need to know what all i am going to need from some of you guys with some experience. im looking to do an ms3 or ms4 cam with 243 heads. im just not sure what else i need so please help any advice is helpful.
do i need a better oil pump, injectors, pushrods, stall? if so, any suggestions?
What shortblock are you using? Sounds like a Gen III build.

If you have a 6.0l, I suggest the L92 top end option. Cheap and fast. LS3 intake/injectors are cheap and better than the LS6 setup...
Old 01-20-2013, 05:57 AM
Teching In

Default heads and cam

this is all goin on my 99 trans am ls1. if that helps for advice.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

The list above is a very detailed list for a nice h/c build. Budget build would be Stage 1 Tsp/Prc 243's(or TSP/PRC 5.3's), Ms3/4 cam, Used ls6 intake(for in parts classifieds), ford svo 30 injectors(in classifieds). Ls6 oil pump, ls2 hd chain, Ls7 lifters, Ls2 lifter trays, Hardened Pushrods, MLS Head gaskets, Head bolts, Water pump gaskets, front timing cover gasket, intake manifold gaskets.

Still won't be cheap, but the parts list wont total $6000 bucks either! You ever consider going one step at a time? headers intake, the parts collection for H/C, then H/C swap?
That way you may give yourself time to find deals or consider other ideas or wants.
Old 01-20-2013, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

As good as the list above is(as in detail) alot of money could have been saved by research and reaching out to sponsors on the site(websites to you right)! A few bucks saved hear and there can easily lead you to saving cash for a good set of headers, or intake!
ALL THAT TO SAY: take your time!
Old 01-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Teching In

Default parts

Im not planning on buying it all at once i wanna start now so i can have it all by spring or early summer, my car is parked for the winter right now so i its just easy to work on it now.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by DaFireMan
As good as the list above is(as in detail) alot of money could have been saved by research and reaching out to sponsors on the site(websites to you right)! A few bucks saved hear and there can easily lead you to saving cash for a good set of headers, or intake!
ALL THAT TO SAY: take your time!
this list was intended to be a guide for what components are typically needed for a h/c swap, not necessarily brand and type for the OP's specific need.

For my build, each component was chosen for a reason. I needed custom thickness head gaskets to equalize quench and SCR on each bank, intake manifold has not been installed yet (mamo ported lsxrt), etc. Also, the list does include LS7 lifters, hardened pushrods, and re-used LS2 lifter trays - so a lot of money was saved where possible. However, saving "a few bucks" was not really a concern as long as it was done right - this was part of the complete stroker build while on an engine stand.

Quick Reply: cam and heads install