Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 09:56 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burning oil

I need some help with this problem in my wife's 09 Tahoe. I did an oil change about a month ago with royal purple and have to keep adding oil to it and its not leaking nor is it smoking. I'm stumped so can someone shed some light on this issue. Thanks
Old 01-28-2013, 10:06 AM
Launching!

Pour 2 quarts trans fluid in full gas tank. Try to free up rings .drive it hard
Old 01-28-2013, 10:29 AM
On The Tree

Gm recommends pulling spark plugs and adding top engine cleaner. Let sit for 2 hrs turn engine over to blow out cleaner. Cover plug holes it will make a mess. Then reinstall plugs. There is a redesigned cover for the oil squirter to help stop this from happening but you have to drop the oil pan. Hope this helps.
Old 01-29-2013, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chato0824
I need some help with this problem in my wife's 09 Tahoe. I did an oil change about a month ago with royal purple and have to keep adding oil to it and its not leaking nor is it smoking. I'm stumped so can someone shed some light on this issue. Thanks
I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue. If you feel there is an issue occurring with oil consumption, please consult a local dealership to see if there is malfunction. If you decide to take it in, please send us a PM with your VIN#, name, contact information, situation, dealership, and current mileage. I am also attaching the Chevrolet Owner Center which will allow you to check for potential recalls, have access to manuals, and other such information. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1

Last edited by GM Customer Service; 01-29-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1
Old 01-31-2013, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

I agree. I am a tech at a dealer. Bring it in and it will get taken care of
Old 01-31-2013, 06:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The problem is with RP that is a horrible choice. Don't believe everything on the Power Block lol.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Launching!

^^^Agreed, I've had 3 different ls engines use oil with RP, switched all 3 to Mobil 0w40 and never add any
Old 03-24-2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GM Customer Service
I apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue. If you feel there is an issue occurring with oil consumption, please consult a local dealership to see if there is malfunction. If you decide to take it in, please send us a PM with your VIN#, name, contact information, situation, dealership, and current mileage. I am also attaching the Chevrolet Owner Center which will allow you to check for potential recalls, have access to manuals, and other such information. I hope this is resolved quickly for you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance

https://my.chevrolet.com/web/portal/managemybrand?g=1

My car is no where near being covered by my warranty or my extended warranty because of modifications, but it does love to use oil. I burn at least 1/2 a quart every 1000 miles and my catch can will have about 1/2 a shot glass in it. We did a leak down last Monday and my weakest cylinder was 12%. The engine has about 13,000 miles on it. The factory engine lasted 2000 miles before it spit a rod out of the block above the starter and the dealership Said warranty void because of headers and CAI. I did use a nitrous top ring set a little lose on the new build but it should not be using oil like it does. I told the shop I am done with Mobil1 and to switch over to AMS oil.

Can you tell me why these engine use oil and how I can fix it. I am tired of the oil smell at idle.

PS: this is a factory LS3 in my C6 Corvette with 2000 miles on the odo. Tell me how American Racing headers, Haltech intake, and tune did this? Or could it have been a parts failure? It let go at 65-70mph on the freeway.

Last edited by Crowhater; 03-24-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 PM
Staging Lane

Holy ****. lol. Im not sure that hole is supposed to be there.

That is shitty, man. 2000 miles? Id **** a brick if they told me no warranty. Then again, Id pull mods before I brought it into the dealer.

Quick Reply: burning oil