Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

05 GTO LS2 in race truck

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 GTO LS2 in race truck

i picked up a 2005 Pontiac GTO LS2 and put it in my off road race truck and i decided to make it carburated to keep it simple and less wiring..it has a edelbrock performer rpm intake and edelbrock 650 cfm off road carb and the msd timing control module, and custoim headers..i did the swap in january 2010 and have driven it and raced it a bunch since ..it has always been pretty hard to start but when it fires up it runs perfect and flawless and like a raped ape..well the truck has sat for a while and i just decided to get it going again so i drained fuel cell and replaced all the fuel lines and cleaned the carb/jets..it will not start it is backfiring and popping and sputtering..it has fuel pressure and the accelerator pump is working it is spraying fuel just fine and it has spark but it just wont fire up ..any help?????
Old 02-13-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cam sensor/crank sensor is the only thing that tells the box where it is in the the rotation
Old 02-15-2013, 11:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is an '05 LS2 it should have a 24* tooth reluctor ring, and you should have the MSD 6010 box. You didn't say, but when you first built it you
would/should have lengthened the MSD cam sensor wires that were made for a rear mounted cam sensor so that they would reach the front mounted cam sensor on the LS2. You also have to switch the outside wires (labeled A and C) on the MSD plug. You can switch the wires when you lengthen them also, which is how I did it. The thing that confuses me is, you said this engine had been running. I know of at least 3 LS2 or Gen lV's that would not run and displayed the same symptoms as yours (backfires and flames), until they swithed the A and C wires on the cam sensor. If yours is a 58* tooth engine, then disregard everything I've written.
Ron
Old 02-16-2013, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Injectors are dirty and gummed up and the stale fuel isnt helping from the engine sitting, try new plugs and clean your injectors.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:58 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lizeec
Injectors are dirty and gummed up and the stale fuel isnt helping from the engine sitting, try new plugs and clean your injectors.
If you go back and read the original post, you'll see that it has a CARBURETOR.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by rojs234
If you go back and read the original post, you'll see that it has a CARBURETOR.
Damn and I am one of the people always asking myself don't people know how to read and comprehend? Now I am in that group.
Sorry about that

Quick Reply: 05 GTO LS2 in race truck