Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Need cam advice, etc. for L92/LS3 retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need cam advice, etc. for L92/LS3 retrofit

I have a mint 99 firehawk that has 35k on it. I bought a low mile L92 out of a wrecked car that I want to put in along with a recently rebuilt T56 so I can keep the original LS1/4l60 from being accidentally destroyed (otherwise I would consider building up the LS1 with heads/cam etc.)

I have an LS7 clutch I will be using so I can't run too much power in this thing before either the clutch or T56 starts to get angry & I don't have a big desire to drop a couple of grand to get a better clutch/driveshaft/upgrade the T56. I have a backup 10 bolt with a girdle that I'm going to swap in at the same time (again to preserve the original driveline), but I know that POS won't last too long & I am going to have to bite the bullet and go either 9" or 12 bolt & will likely put in 3.73 gears at that time.

I'm also going to run with the factory LS3 intake with 1 3/4 QTP stainless longtubes likely dumping into a catted Y (I hate rasp) and the factory SLP dual/dual catback. I will put a cutout after the Y for times when I want to be loud.

I want a cam that runs close to stock-like driveability that at idle sounds like it might have a cam in it, but you just aren't sure, so a tiny bit of lope is ok. The cams I have been looking at are the livernois stage 1c (215/229 .600.600 117.5 LSA), the mast 913-201 (222/234 .578/.588 116 LSA) or maybe the LG g6xe (specs unknown). I'm leaning against the LG b/c I have no idea what it actually is spec wise, which might make it harder to tune & makes me have no idea what kind of valvetrain abuse its dishing out. I'm also not too amped on the Lingenfelter Gt11 as it has some pretty aggressive lobes with some pretty aggressive lift (.629/.643). I care about reliability and not having to change out valvesprings often, which has me leaning away from the gt11 & the unknown lift g6xe. I wouldn't be opposed to a custom grind since they run about the same price.

The reason for the cam is I have to switch it out anyways since it is an L92, which brings me to a couple more questions. One head was pulled to make sure the motor was OK prior to buying, so I have to replace the headbolts/gaskets anyways. I already bought reusable ARP bolts, but am unsure what gaskets to go with & whether I should mill the heads or replace the L92 valves with LS3 ones. I'm guessing for my goals the L92 ones would be fine, but I likely need a bit more compression since the L92's come with notched pistons, hence my question regarding head gaskets and milling.

My final question is who can I have tune this thing? I know my LS1 computer will work for the LS3 with the lingenfelter conversion box I bought, but I don't know who is experienced in tuning something like this. I'd obviously prefer someone somewhat local (I live about 1/2 hour from Kansas City), but would be open to other ideas.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Out of those cams I would definitely go with the Mast cam but I'm only one man with one opinion. LS3 valves are lighter and desired but not necessary. I would go with LS9 gaskets and you'll have plenty of room to mill if you wish but once again not necessary and you'll still make good power without doing so.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:43 AM
AVB
Launching!

Get a hold of PATG and he'll set you up. I run a stock L92 on an LS1 computer and he set me up w/ a cam that passes Cali smog and got 480'ish whp. I run stock LS3 head gaskets but would do .040's given another chance.
Old 04-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Staging Lane

Now that we are getting closer to summer I'm starting to look at getting this project underway. Any more feedback on cams & tuning, possibly near KC?
Old 04-30-2013, 05:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyshu
Now that we are getting closer to summer I'm starting to look at getting this project underway. Any more feedback on cams & tuning, possibly near KC?
Give Geoff at EPS a call. He selected a nice cam for my ls3 swap, it has excellent street manners and has a ton of power.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 PM
Staging Lane

ttt. Did some research over on the vette forum & people seem to like the 224/224 on XFI lobes and a 115+1. Any feedback on that? How spring friendly would that be compared to the other options & what kind of life would I be able to get out of a set?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:02 PM
Staging Lane

tbh, you listed cams that are quite opposite of one another. The first 2 cams are fairly small for an ls3 and will offer great drivability if thats what you're looking for. The LG G6X3 cam is a max effort NA cam and really requires gears to maximize its potential. It may require fly cutting and is not a tame Cam.

the cam im currently running is one of the more popular grinds that will push 490whp cam only NA but also very centri boost friendly if you were to go that route. its the lethal night fury cam, do some searches and you'll see the results its putting out.

231/242; .617/.615; 113 lsa
Old 05-07-2013, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I was looking at the g6xe not the g6x3. I imagine those two get confused alot.
Old 05-23-2013, 12:59 PM
Staging Lane

So it looks like I am going with a Dana rear with either 3.56 or 3.73 gears & will be getting their chrome moly shaft. I still want to keep the ls7 clutch & need input on all the other questions I have still.
Old 05-25-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The 224/224 cam would not be a good choice,IMO. The L92s like at least some split. Most people agree 6-10* more on the exhaust is good enough. I would go with the LS3 valves ,if you can get a set at a good price. Even though you dont want an agressive lobe, the lighter valve train will allow the engine to rev more freely to the redline, and be easier on your springs.
I would go custom grind without question. There is no down side to a "properly speced" custom cam. The biggest advise I would give on choosing a cam man is, make sure they understand your goals "clearly". Most guys that are looking for a custom grind are looking to drain max power out of their setup and I think alot of grinders are in that mindset before they even talk to you. Make sure they know you are not looking for max effort, but great manners with a good bump in getty up.
I got Tim at Bullet Racing to spec a cam for my crate LS3 with a dual plane carb intake and Fast EZ EFI. I had done the research on my odd setup and together we came up with a grind that is working very well for what I want out of my setup. By the way I wasnt looking for a max effort cam either.
Good Luck. It should be a fun ride!!
Old 05-25-2013, 11:51 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I would look at the smallest rectangular port cam that Geoff@ EPS has. Even though it looks big, its really not that big in the sound department. 222/242 597/605 117 LSA. It will be just enough to let people know you have something in there but drive like stock.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I'll be running manifolds but here's what Pat G spec'ed and what I ordered from EPS.

218 int 228 exhaust .604, .604 112 +4. Mine has LSA heads.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these guys. Super nice, patient, and very knowledgable! Plus you get EPS lobes which are easier on springs and ground by Cam Motion. If you have any questions they always replyn in a timely fashion.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM
Teching In

I'll be running manifolds but here's what Pat G spec'ed and what I ordered from EPS.

218 int 228 exhaust .604, .604 112 +4. Mine has LSA heads. Thgis is really close to the GM hot cam with more lift. I'm running PAC1219x springs. Pat G said this combo should be good to 50,000 before spring change.

I don't think you can go wrong with either of these guys. Super nice, patient, and very knowledgable! Plus you get EPS lobes which are easier on springs and ground by Cam Motion. If you have any questions they always reply in a timely fashion.

Quick Reply: Need cam advice, etc. for L92/LS3 retrofit