Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

GMPP Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GMPP Blocks

Are the LS3 or LS7 blocks available from many vendors ready to assemble or do they need additional machine work? Thanks.
Old 02-25-2013, 05:13 PM
TECH Regular

Depends on goals. A regular replacement block, like all the vendors sell is ready to go, technically speaking but it's a replacement for a street car engine. A properly built engine will have cylinders honed to the specific pistons that are being placed in it, also mains align bored, and deck squared and cut for the specific deck height desired, along with a myriad of other high performance related procedures applied to it. That's tough to do without all the parts and pieces on hand.
Old 02-25-2013, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

The goal is to have a very strong running engine with a broad powerband for a 71 Camaro. The car has no engine and I have been wanting to put one of these together. I can believe that the block will need a final hone but the line bore should be machined already I would think.

Last edited by Bill71; 02-25-2013 at 09:39 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bill71
The goal is to have a very strong running engine with a broad powerband for a 71 Camaro. The car has no engine and I have been wanting to put one of these together. I can believe that the block will need a final hone but the line bore should be machined already I would think.
Thats what I would have thought too, guess not.

http://www.precisionenginetech.com/p...ls2-part-1-1a/
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Teching In

you don't have to do a lot of work to the case if you don't mind a stock power engine with all stock components. But if you are going for that buy a running motor it will be cheaper.
You cant beat a GM crate engine money if you want a little extra and a new engine. If you are going to build up an engine you will spend more on the components and it only makes sense to do the case work.
I have some great LS-1 engines with great components that I cant get near out of as I have into. But they make great reliable power and I know they will last, so it all depends what you are going for. If you are having fun it doesn't mater.

Quick Reply: GMPP Blocks