2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28:

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28:

This thread is on yahoo

2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28: the legend returns with more than 500 hp

As an automaker, when you ignite reactions of ecstatic cheers during an auto show reveal, you know you’ve done something right. In the case of Chevy at the New York auto show, they took it a few steps further. The crowd on hand, those on social media, and enthusiasts everywhere erupted in rejoice as General Motors sneakily unveiled the 2014 Camaro Z/28. The most iconic model in Camaro history returns.

First introduced in 1967, the original Z/28 featured no automatic transmission or air conditioning. It was a track-ready machine and it held those attributes to heart. Unlike the ’67 Z/28, the 2014 version does not intend to compete in a specific race series, but it still holds true to the original’s core beliefs.

On-track, the 2014 Z/28 promises to be exceptional; lapping three seconds faster per lap than the incredibly proficient Camaro ZL1. Sticking with the numerical three, this speed increase derives from three key areas: chassis modifications improve cornering g to 1.05; carbon-ceramic Brembo brakes offer additional stopping power, and a 300-lb weight reduction over the ZL1 drastically improves handling. The weight shedding stems from lightweight wheels all the way to thinner rear-window glass. Even air conditioning is an option. Naturally, as with the Z/28 of old, a 6-speed manual transmission is all you get, and frankly, we wouldn’t have it any other way.

From a design standpoint, the refreshed Camaro, with its narrow grill, squared off back fenders and boxy rear end, adds to the cartoonish appearance customers are accustomed .To me, the revamped Camaro looks too gimmicky, but those modifications – mixed with additional aggression – work wonders on the Z/28. From being underwhelmed with the base 2014 Camaro, I became one of the many desperately thrashing for my phone to steal the first Flickr pic.

The powerplant utilized on the Z/28 marks the motor first introduced on the Corvette Z06. The 7.0-liter V-8 produces at least 500 hp and 470 lb. ft. of torque – an 80-hp decrease over the 6.2-liter ZL1. What matters, however, is that the Z/28’s engine offers a significant weight reduction, making the slight horsepower deficit immaterial.

The interior will feel familiar for Camaro lovers, with subtle aspects trimmed to save mass. The tiny rear seats remain, but eliminate the seat-back pass through as well as using high-density foam in place of rigid structural elements. All but one speaker has been removed in the quest for reducing the pound figure; one remains purely so as the seat belt warning signal can sound if you forget to buckle up.

“Our goal,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer, “was to make the fastest road-racing Camaro possible that was still street legal. The Z/28 will be too track-focused for most drivers, but offers road-racers one of the most capable track cars ever offered from an automaker.”

That’s a bold statement, but having spent hours hustling the incredibly capable ZL1 on track, I’m not going to pass judgment just yet. With improved lap-times of around three seconds, that statement might be on the money. We don’t yet know prices or speed statistics, but what we do know marks the 2014 Chevy Camaro Z/28 as the best, and most surprising, machine at the New York Auto Show. I’m sure the Ford stand gasped even louder than we did.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK, this is a Gen V engine...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
AFAIK, this is a Gen V engine...
Its an LS7... Gen IV as the OP said.....
Old 03-27-2013, 08:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by djfury05
Its an LS7... Gen IV as the OP said.....
Well, shows how little I know about new stuff. I ASSumed all new GM cars were Gen V from '13 on...
Old 03-27-2013, 08:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Well, shows how little I know about new stuff. I ASSumed all new GM cars were Gen V from '13 on...
Its all good brother.. the Gen V should be out starting with the new Vette I believe.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
Banned

I love the fact that the car is lighter and has the 427. Just think cam and heads up grade, or lower comp. and super charger ,may be that twin turbo kit they have for the Z06.I"ll be lookin at the gen 5 engines- will you be able to re-sleeve it for bigger bore? I know you will be able to stroke it, just waiting to see Livernois set one up or Texas speed with one.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

I like the car and the LS7 is a nice touch. The new tail lights and slightly more appealing body is great. I bet is pisses off current 5th gen owners.

I think it's total BS what they deleted to save weight...Come on... speakers? Insulation? No AC? People rather build a 60s muscle car if they want a stripped down car. I can put a 427 in a '69 camaro with all the hoohas and have the same thing except faster.

They should have thought of better ways to save weight. Carbon fiber or fiberglass body panels etc....MORE POWER.....just to name a few.

I wonder what it will cost...I suspect $50K+...Something tells me it will cost the same or more than the ZL1
Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Banned

Yeah your right but think, ZL1 as heavy as it is still was only behind RED Devil by maybe 2 sec.Now think Z28. The set-up on the Zl1 is so good and look at the tire package on the zl1 285 20's up front man if I could fit those on my Malibu and at this weight 3000 lbs all I would need is JRI shock's and I would win the optima street challenge.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

They have to basically cut all amenities out of the car for it to still be 3800lbs? That's not much of a track car. I was hoping with the redesign they'd actually find a way to get it below 3500lbs.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

Old 03-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Banned

Gen 6 camaro will use ATS chassis in 2015 or 2016 camaro. ATS weights around 3500 lbs I would love to see them keep the tire and wheel package on gen 6 camaro. Now think about this ZL1, it will out run gt500 on any track despite hp and over weight. Now the Z28 will better the Zl1 on a road course what more do you want just do a basic cam and head change or hell re-sleeve and it and add 4.125 crank now you have 454 LS7 with dry sump send heads to WCCH to do port work and you have your self a very good street/ road course vehicle.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who will be able to afford a car built this well? Carbon ceramic brake rotors? Walk into a dealership and ask the parts guy to price out ONE rotor for a 2010 ZR1 Corvette...
Old 03-28-2013, 05:37 AM
Staging Lane

If you had the impression that this car will be affordable you're WRONG. LS7? Ceramic Brakes? Recaro Seats? $50K and not a penny under it! Well maybe $49,995 but damn It's a shame GM burdens it customers with those magic school bus tail lights.

It doesn't take a guru to figure out that the people who wants to go fast will soon figure out, minor modifications such as cost and labor upgrades will put you in the range of the ZL1. GM FIX THOSE FUGLY GAUGES!! GAWDDDDDDDDDD -_-

P.s a LS7 with mid length or shorty headers puts out 550hp. So stop underrating these engines. We see right through it.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
I like the car and the LS7 is a nice touch. The new tail lights and slightly more appealing body is great. I bet is pisses off current 5th gen owners.

I think it's total BS what they deleted to save weight...Come on... speakers? Insulation? No AC? People rather build a 60s muscle car if they want a stripped down car. I can put a 427 in a '69 camaro with all the hoohas and have the same thing except faster.

They should have thought of better ways to save weight. Carbon fiber or fiberglass body panels etc....MORE POWER.....just to name a few.

I wonder what it will cost...I suspect $50K+...Something tells me it will cost the same or more than the ZL1
porsche, aston martin, lamborghini, ferrari, et al, have done it with one model or another of their cars . the Z28 was a ready made road track car. this version is true to the heritage. the original Z28 was not some posh street car.

so calm down skippy.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:50 PM

Its gonna be a limited run also. Not every dealer will be given the option to buy one. Probably closer to a MSRP of 65k with dealer markup from there.
Old 03-28-2013, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

I find it funny when people say hey "swap the cam, send the heads off to be ported" etc...etc....than it will have some power. If you have to do that to a $50K car...just buy the Vette.

The Z28 may be 300lbs lighter, but it is sporting considerably less Hp than the ZL1. I bet the ZL1 is still a better ride. You can't build a race car with all the safety items and luxory. Airbags/System alone are a few hundred pounds. They should have gave it enough power to overcome the weight.

If you want a modern race car, you have to spend the money
Old 03-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Staging Lane

I find it funny when people say hey "swap the cam, send the heads off to be ported" etc...etc....than it will have some power. If you have to do that to a $50K car...just buy the Vette.

The Z28 may be 300lbs lighter, but it is sporting considerably less Hp than the ZL1. I bet the ZL1 is still a better ride. You can't build a race car with all the safety items and luxory. Airbags/System alone are a few hundred pounds. They should have gave it enough power to overcome the weight.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO GETS IT!!! DAMN SIR YOU ARE ON THE MONEY!!
Old 03-28-2013, 04:46 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfury05
Its all good brother.. the Gen V should be out starting with the new Vette I believe.
Along with the new 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 series
Old 03-28-2013, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

Im glad I got my 2002 Camaro Z28 when I did. I paid just under $24,000 and got air conditioning and a loaded car minus t/tops and leather. What happened to building a Affordable basic muscle car? GM has missed the mark. After the ls1 f bodies were discontinued in '02 we got that ugly underpowered 2 seater SSR. Next it was the crocodile dundee gto's, and now a stripped down zl1. What is this thing with the '69 camaro? Yes it is a classic but this throwback stuff is being taken a little to far! Ford has hit the mark. The 5.0 mustang has the performance, creature comforts and an affordable price. I hope the next gen camaro has a decent weight, and power plant and gets back to the basics.
Old 03-30-2013, 05:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ever held a modern airbag? Not nearly as heavy as you would think.

ZL1 will be a better ride - its magnetic ride control says say.

Considerably less hp - maybe by the factory ratings but everyone knows the LS7 is a beast. Also, any real road racer knows that superchargers = heat. Heat robs power.

NA is the way to go.

Now, about those tail lights...

Quick Reply: 2014 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28: