Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

58x Crank Sensor into Fbody, new ECU and Harness?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 10:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 58x Crank Sensor into Fbody, new ECU and Harness?

I'm swapping a built LS2 402 stroker (with 58x reluctor) into my 01 Fbody (with 24x) and trying to figure out whether I should get the Lingenfelter conversion box, or swap out the reluctor, or get a new 58x ECM, and also if its easier to get a new wiring harness.

If I get a new ECM to work with the 58x what vehicle(s) should it come out of?

If I get a new 58x harness that has the knock sensor connections for the location on the side of the block, what vehicle(s) could that come out of?

I want to keep my cable driven throttle body on my FAST 90/90. Will an ECM made for drive by wire work with a cable TB? What would I need to change in the tune to switch to cable driven TB?
Old 04-21-2013, 02:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2013, 10:21 PM
Launching!

if you dont mind pulling the crank then just change the reluctor to a 24x, thats what I did but my motor wasnt together yet, then u would just need wiring extensions for the knock sensors, cam and maf sensors, But if you dont wanna pull crank then the Lingerfelter box would probably be your best bet IMO
Old 04-22-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Regular

Changing the reluctor is going to be a pretty major chore. The crank has to come out and has to be sent to someone with an indexing jig to make sure it gets installed at the right crank angle, and also that there is no runout. The simplest way would be the lingenfelter box. It's plug and play, and would probably be the cheaper option. Changing the computer would be a pain too, you would need a new harness and have to integrate it in to the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by keith102371
if you dont mind pulling the crank then just change the reluctor to a 24x, thats what I did but my motor wasnt together yet, then u would just need wiring extensions for the knock sensors, cam and maf sensors, But if you dont wanna pull crank then the Lingerfelter box would probably be your best bet IMO
Yeah, the engine is already built and I don't want to pull the crank out at this point. What do I have to do with the MAF sensor? I didn't know anything had to be changed there.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:35 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By far the best option would be to stick a 4x cam gear on the front and use the 58 x crank reluctor + sensor. From there all you'll need is a LPE 58 to 24x box.

Switching the ECM type would be a big job especially because there are no 58 x setups that where originally ran on cable throttle body setups.

See what's in our shop on Facebook! Customer Build Blogs!
www.pcmofnc.com
Performance Installs - Dyno Tuning - Custom Camshafts & Valvetrain - Remote HPtuners Tuning - Mail Order Tuning & Sales
704-307-4227
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96 Comp T/A
Changing the reluctor is going to be a pretty major chore. The crank has to come out and has to be sent to someone with an indexing jig to make sure it gets installed at the right crank angle, and also that there is no runout. The simplest way would be the lingenfelter box. It's plug and play, and would probably be the cheaper option. Changing the computer would be a pain too, you would need a new harness and have to integrate it in to the vehicle.
I can find a computer and harness pretty cheap and the engine and tranny is out so now would be the time to change it if going that route. I would just need to find out what harness is the closest to mine. Are we talking about changing out multiple sensors and wiring in new ones to get it to match up?
Old 04-22-2013, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Alvin@PCMofNC
By far the best option would be to stick a 4x cam gear on the front and use the 58 x crank reluctor + sensor. From there all you'll need is a LPE 58 to 24x box.

Switching the ECM type would be a big job especially because there are no 58 x setups that where originally ran on cable throttle body setups.
Thanks for the advice!

Quick Reply: 58x Crank Sensor into Fbody, new ECU and Harness?