Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Oil Pressure not building like it use to, thoughts?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Oil Pressure not building like it use to, thoughts?

ok I have a 418 ls3, and when I first had the engine the oil pressure at cold stayed around 60 on idle, once worked up it stayed at 40, would always spike and pretty much max out the guage under accelloration and high rpms.

I had to redo the top end do to lifter failure and camshaft damage, some metal definetly went thew the engine and oil pump. Pressure was good at the time so I did not bother redoign the bottom end.

Now idle cold my pressure is around 40 and will go to 70 or 80 under at high rpms. However now the idle pressure warm is around 20, and under throttle or higher rpms it seems to struggle to get over 40, it tends to hang at 40 threw most of the rpms till about 5k then gets to about 50 but never gets above that.

I am wondering if the metal has made the oil pump less effecient? or maybe the bearings got scored and not holding pressure as good, motor still drives just fine and has no odd noises.

what are your thoughts? maybe change oil pump and see if thats the reason?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:46 PM
10 Second Club

i redid the engine all the way back in october so its been a while and atleast 3 oil changes later
Old 06-03-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same thing happen to my 98 TA. I figured it was the oil pump so I just tore down the entire motor just to make sure. I was losing oil pressure and it was spiking at times.

Long story short, I had a bad lifter and damaged cam because of a stock oil pump. luckly no other damage was found.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2013, 05:28 PM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You will not find the pump to be at fault 99% of the time. You will probably find that the bearings are scored or the lifter bore is damaged from the lifter coming apart. If you wind up pulling the motor we can inspect it for only $100 to find the problem. Let us know if we can help.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM
10 Second Club

lifter never came apart so lifter bores are good, i was never really sure what took out the top end oil pressure was always high before the falure, all 16 lifters and cam lobes had damage the listers were missing chunks on their edges, most people said it was the lifters were not strong enouph for the high spring pressure I have.

but yeah im leaning towards the factor of bearings might of gotten scored, so I can assume I will probably be in for a rebuild soon?
Old 06-04-2013, 09:20 AM
Banned

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

It would be wise to look that direction. If you catch a low oil problem before it turns to a no oil problem it will be must more cost effective to repair.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Pressure not building like it use to, thoughts?