Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

major water leak into oil

Old 07-07-2013, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default major water leak into oil

New long block LSX. Finally got cooling system hooked up. Figured I'd pressure test with air just in case. Pressured to 9 psi and went to 0psi in less than 30 seconds. Couldn't find leak so I filled rad with water. Water kept going down and pressure kept dropping. No external leaks. Finally I pulled the oil pan drain plug. Out ran 1/2 gallon of water. This engine has never been fired and only has been turned over with a wrench. I pulled a valve cover and there was water droplets under valve cover. Valley cover no sign of oil.
My first thought was bad head gasket but such a massive leak seems almost too much for head gasket? Possible cracked block or heads? Everything is brand new, nothing used.
I will contact the supplier but I am interested to figure out what it might be.
Old 07-08-2013, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

More info. I blocked the water pump fittings and pressured air via steam lines.
I can hear air leaking on the right head. It takes 15 seconds for air pressure to go from 9psi to 0psi. Left head is quiet. I would think pulling the right head
would be the next move. I will wait to see what the supplier suggests.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

So I phoned the supplier this morning. I explained the situation. They said to pull it out and send it back to them and they would fix it. Best possible outcome other than it not having a problem in the first place. It has always been my belief as a small business person that no matter who you are or what you do, eventually something will go wrong. It is how you deal with your mistakes that others will judge you.
As bad luck would have it I had a material problem at my business. I phoned my supplier and they are replacing the material ASAP as well. Looks like I deal with good suppliers.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sorry to hear this. Is the engine on a stand or in the car? Whichever, make sure you remove all traces of the water in your longblock. I'd pull all the covers and pan, wipe down all that's accessible, and spray it with your favorite moisture displacer.
Old 07-09-2013, 05:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 583 Likes on 461 Posts

I would hope the vendor/supplier will tear the engine COMPLETELY down, find the problem and start over. I would ask them to make sure they did go completely through it. I'd still pull both valve covers at the least to check for any water droplets.

Best of luck.
Old 07-14-2013, 12:30 AM
Staging Lane

Engine is now out. I had valve covers off while it was still in the car. Few droplets under the right valve cover. I poured some oil down both heads to was down any water sitting. I drained the oil out of the pan tonight. Tomorrow I have to pull off oil pan, front and rear covers, valley cover and valve covers.
I sure hope I do not find any rust already. I'll spray it with WD40 and wrap it in plastic and get it ready to ship back. I really want to know what was wrong.
While it is miserable pulling it out etc, I am happy the supplier took responsibility for it.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:53 PM
Staging Lane

I shipped engine back to supplier. Turns out there was a problem with one of the ported heads. They tore engine apart and reassembled it. They should be shipping it back to me next week.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received engine back. The supplier tore the engine down and reassembled it completely. They sent it back prepaid and credited me for me shipping it to them. Can't ask for more than that. I will use them again. As a business owner, there will always be a time when things go wrong. How a business deals with errors is how a business is judged. So Texas Speed is my vendor of choice.
Thanks
Old 09-10-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Good deal. Texas Speed is top notch. Great bunch of guys.
Old 09-15-2013, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Default texas speed

i ordered a bunch of parts from them and was missing a valvespring spacer...i emailed them and didnt get a reply two days later a new one was setting on the door step

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: major water leak into oil