Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

DoD failure = FUBAR engine?

Old 07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DoD failure = FUBAR engine?

Came across an L76 longblock (823 heads) that was supposedly pulled and replaced under GM warranty. Guy who has it says DoD lifter failure. Worst case scenario, is this junk and to be avoided? I'm assuming it's relatively low mileage (as far as LS engines are concerned) since GM replaced it but I'm just not sure about it. He's asking $1200, unknown miles.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:10 PM
Super Hulk Smash

Received 137 Likes on 114 Posts

Depends. Might just need to have the lifter bore cleaned up if you plan to just use the block.

The shortbock's rotating assembly is most likely trash. If the lifter failed and turned and destroyed the cam lobe, those pieces got down into the engine and probably scored up the bearings and possibly the crank.

Might be worth it if you plan to take to a machine shop. Let them inspect the lifter bores, re-ring the pistons (and possibly replace the one where the lifter went bad because a valve could have hung open and damaged the piston), and install all new bearings assuming the crank and rods look good.

Might be around 1600 or so at the machine shop + whatever you can get it for. I say if you can refresh the motor and get it blueprinted for under $2500, it might be worth it.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:36 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a friend that would buy the old L98 motors from a local dealer that were replaced under warranty. You just can't tell until the motor is opened up for inspection. I have seen them from an easy to fix repair to a motor that is totally trashed. It is a gamble otherwise if it is not looked at beforehand.
Old 07-29-2013, 01:05 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. It was just gonna be a spare motor. I've already got one in the garage. I'll let someone else fool with this.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DoD failure = FUBAR engine?