Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Cam Swap without pulling the heads? Quick Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cam Swap without pulling the heads? Quick Question

I know its been done but I have one question before I attempt it. when you spin the camshaft to push all the lifters up they are only going to move the amount of lift of the stock camshaft. when I put dowel rods in to hold the lifters up how am I supposed to maneuver a new cam with much more lift passed the lifters?

Who has experience with this? and are there any little tricks that I need to know? its an LS3 if that makes any difference at all

Thanks, Anthony
Old 08-14-2013, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Fastdriver1992
I know its been done but I have one question before I attempt it. when you spin the camshaft to push all the lifters up they are only going to move the amount of lift of the stock camshaft. when I put dowel rods in to hold the lifters up how am I supposed to maneuver a new cam with much more lift passed the lifters?

Who has experience with this? and are there any little tricks that I need to know? its an LS3 if that makes any difference at all

Thanks, Anthony
Your logic makes sense. That's true, the lifter can and will only move as high as the lift of the current cam. To over come with, you will have to rotate the cam as you install it. It will slide in. My concern would be if the retainers are not worn and will actually hold the lifters.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know swapping the cams on the LS1/2 motors...all you need is 16 pen magnets to drop in the pushrod holes to hold the lifters up. just slide them in till you hear it click and feel it pop on the top of the lifter.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Ive done 2 LS3 cam swaps. One was going from the stock lift (.551) to a .621. All I did was rotate the cam 8-10 times and slide one out and the other in. The second time was much closer on lift and the result was the same. I can only imagine that .075 isn't enough to keep it from passing through. The lifters rollers have a slight bevel on the side that may give enough ramp to push the lifter up. Great question. Im glad I didn't think about that when I did my cam swaps. It would have worried the crap out of me, LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Isaac9mysticteal Z28 (12-13-2023)
Old 08-14-2013, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by newschool72
Ive done 2 LS3 cam swaps. One was going from the stock lift (.551) to a .621. All I did was rotate the cam 8-10 times and slide one out and the other in. The second time was much closer on lift and the result was the same. I can only imagine that .075 isn't enough to keep it from passing through. The lifters rollers have a slight bevel on the side that may give enough ramp to push the lifter up. Great question. Im glad I didn't think about that when I did my cam swaps. It would have worried the crap out of me, LOL.
I've done other cam swaps but all included pulling the heads and changing lifters. this will be the first time i'm going to leave the heads and lifters in the car. last thing i needed was to not be able to fit the cam in the car because the lifters were in the way.

Thanks guys i feel alot better about this now
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Yup done it twice myself and just spin as you install. Worked great
Old 08-15-2013, 01:06 AM
Teching In

There are @ 9 and 3 o'clock 2 small holes. You will see them when you get the timing gear off. I use a 5/16 thick, 23 inch long, round wood dowel which I slip into these holes as I rotate the cam. This holds the lifters up and thats why they put the holes their.
Yes, the lifter trays should hold the lifter up, but when you slip in the wood dowel, the lifter can not fall if the trays are worn. After the wood dowel is in place, I remove the cam and then reinsert the new cam. Remove the wood dowel and use the pushrods to push the lifters back on the cam lobes.
I found the wood dowels at Lowes or home depot.
There's several posts about this with pictures if you do a search.

Regards, Tom.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Skypilot797
There are @ 9 and 3 o'clock 2 small holes. You will see them when you get the timing gear off. I use a 5/16 thick, 23 inch long, round wood dowel which I slip into these holes as I rotate the cam. This holds the lifters up and thats why they put the holes their.
Yes, the lifter trays should hold the lifter up, but when you slip in the wood dowel, the lifter can not fall if the trays are worn. After the wood dowel is in place, I remove the cam and then reinsert the new cam. Remove the wood dowel and use the pushrods to push the lifters back on the cam lobes.
I found the wood dowels at Lowes or home depot.
There's several posts about this with pictures if you do a search.

Regards, Tom.
The holes are not for holding the lifters up. Those are the oil passages that feed the cam and lifters.

Quick Reply: Cam Swap without pulling the heads? Quick Question