Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LSNewb here with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation LSNewb here with questions...

Hey every body...I am in a dilemma I never really messed with Chevys until we bought out 2007 Tahoe. We'll Tuesday my Tahoe took a ****, #1 piston seized...not rod knock nothing to indicate it. Wife was driving it...went into limp mode...really rough...codes galor and in limp mode. She took it into the dealer it has 90,046 miles...Did a lot of reading on the shitty AFM issues with the 07-08 5300 series motors lifters sticking up starving it of oil just blowing it out. GM won't help on the cost...either way I would have to give up my first born to them to have the dealer fix it!
Its either A. Put a replacement engine in it then trade it off.... or B. rebuild it and put a decent streetable cam...better valve train and intake. I tow my boat a lot and do a lot of fishing so would be nice to gain some more power.
I am a newb to this motor and would like some help with opinions...parts...what could help? I really appreciate it everyone! thanks in advance!
Old 10-05-2013, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

The cheap "fix" would be to just buy one at a salvage yard and drop it in. Beyond that, I guess it all depends on how much money you want to spend, vs. how long you plan on keeping it. What engine is it?

Last edited by Brian Hoss; 10-05-2013 at 08:30 PM. Reason: NM..I see its a 5.3
Old 10-05-2013, 08:34 PM
Teching In

5.3 I guess LMG/LY5 they call it...has the Active Fuel Management valve system...Cheapest higher mileage motor I have found looks around 1700$....IF I could be under 2500$ rebuilding it decently...maybe even 3Gs id consider it and keep it.

Quick Reply: LSNewb here with questions...