Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

LQ4 in a 72 LeMans, need some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LQ4 in a 72 LeMans, need some insight.

Didn't really know where to start this build thread.

Ok guys, sold my F-Body to fund a build I've been wanting to do for a while. This
will most likely upset people the way I want to do it, and others will think it's cool, but oh well. Here's what I've got:

I traded my 1970 Monte as a roller to my cousin for this 72 LeMans. The body is rust free, but has some dents, and like 4 bullet holes in it. It's crusty, mostly ugly, and perfect sleeper material. I'm not going to fix a damn thing on the body externally. I'll gut it, cage it, and be as discreet as possible. I'll put a new hood on it, but oh well. Sorry for this one terrible pic, as I just went and grabbed it last week. Will get more pictures soon.

I traded a 74 Monte Carlo that I drove in high school to be used for a derby car for an LQ4 from my other cousin. Now, here's why I posted this here. I need to know, what the best route to go with this motor is. I understand the stock crank is pretty stout? I'd like to be able to just do a quick rebuild, throw in a good set of rods, pistons, and bolts and be able to safely run a 300 or better shot on the motor. I'd -like- to break into low 11's or high 10's with this car. This motor will run an 850 dp through a victor jr intake. I don't know what cam to run yet, or what heads to run yet. L92's? The stock heads? Any info would help. I'd also like to be able to run it on pump gas (91 octane). So, would I be further ahead to buy a whole rotating assemble, or just rods and pistons, and bearings?

As for further information before my next post, the tranny will be a T56 that I had as a spare for my F-Body, I'll send it off to have it built to handle whatever I can throw at it. I'll be building this thing for a while, and don't neccessarily have a huge budget, but I also want to make sure everything will hold.

I have a spare 12 bolt out of a 72' Monte Carlo that I figured I'd throw together with a spool, 4.56's, and Moser 33 splines with 1/2 inch studs, 1.75 length to not run into any problems at the strips. A 28" M/T Et Street should be the right tire, correct?

Now, the car is a factory 400 4 speed, and the mechanical clutch linkage is still there. Does anyone make a bellhousing so that I can stay with this setup?

More pics to come.

Quick Reply: LQ4 in a 72 LeMans, need some insight.