Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Pressure testing a block?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Pressure testing a block?

I've looked at the cooling system passages in my bare L92 block, it seems as if you could easily do a test on the cylinder walls using a deck plate or a properly sized piece of heavy plate with headbolt holes. You'd need to make an adapter with air fitting/gauge/valve to bolt onto the water pump outlet, then bolt on a deck plate with headgasket. Put pressure on the fitting, block the air, then watch the gauge (or do a soap snoop). No leaks, pressure should hold steady. And you do each side independently. Sound right?
Old 08-25-2015, 10:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pressure test?

I suppose you don't trust her lol.

I guess you are looking for a pin hole in one of the cylinders when there is one is usually visible to naked eye.

If you still want to pressure test it with water (premix with soap) put heads on with good gaskets (torque 30 lbs. install all freeze plugs with thread seal.

(Is best to do it on a table) block 3 of the water pump passages and pressurize from the other one, flip the block on the table on it's back side fill with water from the hole you'll pressurize from (live water level down 2 inches) then connect the air pressure valve with a pressure adjuster and gauge, apply 20 psi, flip the block bottom side up (heads on the table) to observe.
Enjoy your test 95% results are thumbs up.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where I worked previously we made water jetted plates drilled/tapped one for an air fitting, installed on the water pump block fittings. Installed deck plates. You could just snug down the heads/gaskets instead of deck plates. Then it checks the heads too, two for one deal.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think it's anything to worry about. My block, at one time, had water in some of the cylinders. It just got a 0.005" hone and there are still a few small spots in one cylinder where the water laid on the rings. I was just pondering on how to do this on a bare block, the shop I used has a deck plate but said they couldn't do a pressure test...

Quick Reply: Pressure testing a block?