Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

Head Gasket Thickness Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Head Gasket Thickness Question

Got a quick question, I am doing an LS2 with LS3 top end. I had the heads milled .015 and was going to run a .040 Cometic. I ordered it through a vendor on here (who I won't name now because I am not trying to downtalk them), but something got mixed up and I ended up with .045. Is it that big of a difference that I should swap these out and get the .040s or is the difference not even a big deal and use the ones I got?

Thanks!
Old 01-24-2014, 01:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

The difference is minimal. Obviously the tighter quench will help more, but it's still less than the stock 0.052.

Not a big deal IMO, I wouldn't stress about it unless they can make the exchange pain free for you and you have time to spare in your build.
Old 01-24-2014, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ended up calling Texas Speed and they were more than helpful with the whole process and we are getting them swapped out for the correct ones. 5 thou isn't much but I know myself and it would bug the heck out of me if I used these. I'm in no hurry on the build as it's single digit weather and negative degree windchill here with salt/deicer all over the roads so the car won't even be out of storage for months and the engine is just mounted on a stand.

Quick Reply: Head Gasket Thickness Question