Generation IV Internal Engine 2005-2014 LS2 | LS3 | LS7 | L92 | LS9

flycutting dished lq4 pistons

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 08:21 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flycutting dished lq4 pistons

Spoke with Martin at Tick performance about a custom cam for my lq4 block/l92 head milled .030 build. he suggested a 223/238 112 cam or a 231/246 112 cam(requires fly cutting). Their is about a 25 hp difference in the 2 cams. So I searched the forum on how to flycut and I'm not to comfortable with doing it myself. Soo off to the local machine shops and was told about 125.00 which is not to bad of a price. But they asked me how much to flycut off the piston? What is a safe amount to flycut off the piston? Also I was told the crank will have to be rebalanced due to the change on the piston. Is that true?
Old 01-28-2014, 07:24 AM
Teching In

Can anybody Help? These may seem like stupid questions but I really don't know. I'm new to LS engines and this is my first engine build. I've searched everywhere for answers!!!
Old 01-29-2014, 03:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Maybe Martin would be able to advise the depth of the flycut. But really in all honesty, it should be measured to be accurate. You really need to install atleast 1 piston and clay it with the cam to see if you are hitting, or if it just clears by how much. Then at that time you would be able to determine how much to flycut.

It could require a balance, but depends on how much material is removed. A piston needs to be checked before an after to see how much the weight is off. IMHO, if i know i'm gonna have to flycut, i will use an aftermarket piston with reliefs. If i don't wanna flycut a stock piston, i'll just run a cam that fits. I would use the other cam Martin recommended.

Last edited by Quick Ranger; 01-29-2014 at 03:11 AM.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

The machine shop should be able to measure how much needs to be cut, but I can give you a "rough" estimate that would pretty much ensure adequate P to V.

I've never had a customer re-balance their rotating assembly after fly-cutting and we've never done it ourselves either. We have fly-cut our fair share of pistons in almost 12 years of business as well.

I can't see enough material being removed to warrant a re-balance.
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
Teching In

I would think that .050-.060" at the deepest point would be enough for the valves to clear and wouldn't drop compression enough to notice.

Quick Reply: flycutting dished lq4 pistons